Page 1 of 1

Did I make a Maltese cross?

#1 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

An extremely bizarre event occurred recently.
I have been mowing the lawn in this home on Sundays since 1983 nearly 30 years ago. I got into the habit when I was working and I guess I never stopped.In consideration of the neighbors I have always waited until late (approx 9am to 10am) to start mowing...so consequently I never had a complaint in nearly 30 years....until recently.
I started mowing as usual on Sunday when next door came out and warned "Look stop mowing on Sunday as people sleep in then" end quote. When I asked at what time they want me to start mowing...the response was" never on sunday...I am prohibited"!
This was bizarre in itself...but there was more. Apparently ( and this was told to me by this same person) several neighbors had a meeting where I was discussed and the decision taken.... "no more mowing on sunday"! When I asked who are these other neighbors I was told "It's none of my business"When I asked how come most neighbors around here lived a lifetime, and you lived for almost two years next door (the place is rented)....and there were never any complaints. Are you trying to tell (I asked) that you have been "suffering" for two years next door...leaving me mowing on Sunday...and now after all this time you decided to speak up???. There was no response, however I was told that they all know that I do not work and that I am always home during the week (apparently my family and I am are under constant surveillance so it is quite known to them where I go and what I do and that I am unemployed)...so I can mow the lawn then!.
When I enquired as to what happens if someone else in the neighborhood starts mowing the lawn on Sunday will s/he be also admonished...the answer was a definite "No" as this prohibition only applies to me. When I enquired whether I 'll be told what was discussed with the other neighbors I was told that it's "none of my business"
So now the position is this;
It seems that a sorta 'communal' Kangaroo Court was assembled to discuss me. The discussions are even secret from me....which sounds very familiar (see the blog titled "Kangaroo Court" on these forums). I cannot from this day on mow the lawn on Sunday by the order of that kangaroo court!
I said that it sounds familiar as it sounds like a Southern European mentality this.......extremely alien to Australia and Aussies???It has, by it's nature, all the earmarks of being Maltese initiated.
It may have finally happened...those Maltese are now paying cash strapped Aussies to practice their methodology and do their "dirty work".
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#2 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

If the other neighbours had a problem then they would have been named. "None of your business" is another way of saying "don't ask questions". I think you've being lied to. There's a possibility that there wasn't really a meeting but just some busybody making trouble.

The truth is simple: if it concerns you, it IS your business.

On the other hand, mowing the lawn at 9 am on a Sunday can indeed be annoying for younger people who are recovering from a late night out on Saturday. I know I wouldn't like it much. But a blanket prohibition for lawn mowing on Sundays is unreasonable. This isn't the Middle Ages.

Some options:
* Continue just the same, and if they get all antsy about it tell them it's none of their business. Tell them not to keep tabs on your comings and goings because it's also none of their business.
* Continue just the same until they provide details on when this supposed meeting took place and who was there. If they continue the "none of your business" line, counter by telling them that if it concerns you, it is your business.
* Change the time of the lawnmowing to the late afternoon (being sure to avoid the heat of the day - you know what they say about mad dogs and Englishmen).

#3 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:34 PM

I don't think I am being lied to. There is really a sort of "kangaroo court" deciding this.These people complaining have been living next door for 2 years. We are friends...they even (with permission) use our green and yellow council bins when we have room in them. Since they have been living here (for 2 years) they never complained and I have been mowing the lawn on Sunday in all that time. In fact when I asked why didn't they complain straight away instead of waiting 2 years to do it........they were sorta 'dumbfounded' and did not respond. Apparently those moronic Maltese and their 'kangaroo court' never thought of this....shall we say "anomaly" .But this is the way......Malta is full of nitwits you know from the President down. Even it's journalists...half of them are stupid....and the other half are dumb

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply