Page 1 of 1

Format & Reinstall Windows periodically

#1 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:44 AM

..it does really make a huge difference. I have a Desktop which I built myself with Windows XP installed. I purchased the Win OS so that I'll be able to "clean up" the cobwebs so to speak and re-install the XP OS.
In fact I have just done this. I have not done it for approx 4 years and it was well overdue. I clean the HD periodically and Defrag but this "clean up" is the best. It's comparatively a huge job as when you format the HD you delete everything on the PC including installed programs (incl anti virus programs), viruses and modem drivers which you'd have to re-install later. So what I did to save me placing disk after disk in the CDROM to install deleted programs I "burnt" all the programs on a DVD size disk. So all I have to do is place one disk in the CDROM and just install program after program from it.You can actually see the PC running smoother after the re-installation. You see although you may have anti virus programs on your PC they are not a guaranteed 100% protection so you are liable to pick up a virus here and there and the only way...the only way to rid of them is formatting.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#2 User is offline   JJ 

• Administrator
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 13 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

I'd recommend moving up to Windows 7 if you have a decent specced PC. It's much faster in just about every way.

Also, for the love of god, avoid using McAfee AntiVirus, it's a slow piece of crap. I used to work as an IT technician, and more than half the customers I saw had issues with how slow it made their computer. Try AVG Antivirus (there's a free version at http://free.grisoft.com)

Please read the Forum Rules & Info thread if you haven't already.

#3 User is offline   Senexx 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 February 2011 - 05:12 PM

In order of free recommendations

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)
Avira Antivir Personal (www.free-av.com)
Avast
AVG

And of course Malware Bytes AntiMalware (MBAM) & SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) as antimalware

Support the Independents, Democracy always needs and requires a balance of power.

Counter Insurgent,

Deficit Terrorist Unit

#4 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

Thank you for that info. I am always asking questions that is how you learn I guess.
I find that computers are like homes....you keep them clean and uncluttered and they work well for you. As I said I built my own desktop PC and I have only a 38 GB hard drive but...I keep it well cleaned (uninstall unused programs) and defrag constantly and thus keep it well "trimmed" and even though I am on dial up the PC runs "smooth as silk"..not as fast as broadband but fast enough

#5 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

Thank you for that info. I am always asking questions that is how you learn I guess.
I find that computers are like homes....you keep them clean and uncluttered and they work well for you. As I said I built my own desktop PC and I have only a 38 GB hard drive but...I keep it well cleaned (uninstall unused programs) and defrag constantly and thus keep it well "trimmed" and even though I am on dial up the PC runs "smooth as silk"..not as fast as broadband but fast enough

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply