Julian Assange, the Wild Colonial Boy the Wikisaga

#21 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 18 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

Latest news is that the Australian government is preparing for the extradition of Assange to the US.

Go us.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#22 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:19 PM

View Postscotto, on 18 August 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

It's very difficult to see how he's been supported as an Australian citizen, at least by our government, who declared him incorrectly to be 'a criminal.'

Amusingly enough, from scotto's link above .....

A spokesman for Senator Carr says Mr Assange was offered consular assistance, but he thanked them and declined the offer.

Shouldn't be too hard to find earlier reports of Oz assistance

Regarding his ill-gotten gains, I think you miss the point that this is the whole reason Wikileaks exists.

Point not missed and quite so. It just underlines the intent without excusing the offence in any way.

As for exploiting this - how? He certainly isn't rich, and never has been to my knowledge.

If you think "exploitation" pertains exclusively to $, then you'd best consult a dictionary.

Regarding his accusers - who are they?

Prominent human rights lawyer Julian Burnside said:

...he ''wouldn't be surprised'' if Mr Assange had committed an offence, given he almost certainly knowingly assisted with the publication of classified documents when the first wave of 250,000 sensitive US diplomatic cables was posted on WikiLeaks last Monday.

As to 'ill-gotten', you need to explain how this is so; leaked, certainly, whistleblown, yes, embarrassing to some - certainly.

Ill-gotten? OK, can you live with "allegedly ill-gotten"? Here's Bradley Manning charge sheet including (for example):

SPECIFICATION 7: In that Private First Class Bradley E. Manning, U.S. Army, did, at or near Contingency Operating Station Hammer, Iraq, on divers occasions, between on or about 19 November 2009 and on or about 27 May 2010, intentionally exceed his authorized access on a Secret Internet Protocol Router network computer and obtain information from an the United States Department of State, to wit: more than 150,000 diplomatic cables, in violation of 18 U.S. Code Section 1030(a)(2), such conduct being prejudicial to good order and discipline in the armed forces and being of a nature to bring discredit upon the armed forces.

Some have asserted danger, however no proof at all has ever been offered for this claim. To suggest that there might be danger posed to 'innocent parties' is again without proof and in fact ridiculous, given the subject matter of most links.

If you have such blind faith in the twerp, then you'd be concerned about this claim by Assange:

The leak exposed massive corruption by Daniel Arap Moi, and the Kenyan people sat up and took notice. In the ensuing elections, in which corruption became a major issue, violence swept the country. "1,300 people were eventually killed, and 350,000 were displaced. That was a result of our leak,"

#23 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 18 August 2012 - 05:20 PM

(too many quotes in prior post to allow this extra one)

Regarding his accusers - who are they? It has been documented that the women concerned in this matter did not want charges pressed against him. So they are not his accusers.

Authorities pursue many cases without the goading of a victim.

#24 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:32 AM

View Posticey, on 18 August 2012 - 05:19 PM, said:

Amusingly enough, from scotto's link above .....
Shouldn't be too hard to find earlier reports of Oz assistance

Point not missed and quite so. It just underlines the intent without excusing the offence in any way.

If you think "exploitation" pertains exclusively to $, then you'd best consult a dictionary.

Ill-gotten? OK, can you live with "allegedly ill-gotten"? Here's Bradley Manning charge sheet including (for example):

If you have such blind faith in the twerp, then you'd be concerned about this claim by Assange:

You'd not be silly enough to think such a bland offer actually comprises support, would you? That's being deliberately naive. Exposing corruption does have consequences. I'm assuming you're in favour of allowing corruption to flourish? Well done.

While you are congratulating yourself about that, you need to go back and read the section of the article you refer to which specifies that 40,000 children a year were dying of malaria in Kenya, and that this news was being suppressed. Tell us again what is okay about that.

If you think there were earlier offers of assistance, then find the evidence.

Manning was charged because he works for the army. Remember the Pentagon Papers? No criminal conviction there, and years later that man is applauded around the world. If Assange has committed an offense in Australian law, why no charges?

The women have stated they just wanted Assange to get an STD test. Wow. That's so deserving of criminal charges, don't you think? By that measure a large percentage of Australia's population should be on remand.

#25 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 19 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

View Postscotto, on 19 August 2012 - 07:32 AM, said:

I'm assuming you're in favour of allowing corruption to flourish? Well done.

Didn't think verballing was your style, but desperate measures for a desperate argument?

While you are congratulating yourself about that, you need to go back and read the section of the article you refer to which specifies that 40,000 children a year were dying of malaria in Kenya, and that this news was being suppressed. Tell us again what is okay about that.

Two wrongs make a right, is that the game?

If you think there were earlier offers of assistance, then find the evidence.

Why should I? The Australian government regularly offers assistance to it's citizens, even those in jails. Why would you think Assange was an exception? Can you support the claim that we did not offer assistance?

If Assange has committed an offense in Australian law, why no charges?

More verballing. Why not just do like Jules did with Nauru and toss the towel in.

The women have stated they just wanted Assange to get an STD test. Wow. That's so deserving of criminal charges, don't you think? By that measure a large percentage of Australia's population should be on remand.

Still waiting for someone to acknowledge that the US could have extradited Assange directly from the UK and go on to explain what's Sweden's alternative hidden agenda.

#26 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

View Posticey, on 19 August 2012 - 10:59 AM, said:

Didn't think verballing was your style, but desperate measures for a desperate argument?

Two wrongs make a right, is that the game?

Why should I? The Australian government regularly offers assistance to it's citizens, even those in jails. Why would you think Assange was an exception? Can you support the claim that we did not offer assistance?

More verballing. Why not just do like Jules did with Nauru and toss the towel in.

Still waiting for someone to acknowledge that the US could have extradited Assange directly from the UK and go on to explain what's Sweden's alternative hidden agenda.

Saying that there have not been charges laid in thus country isn't verballing, it's a fact.

You attempted to paint Assange as responsible for 1300 deaths without acknowledging 40,000 others which were covered up. How would you weight these up?

You asserted it 'shouldn't be hard to find' evidence of other support by Australia, without seeming to try. That's why you should provide some evidence.

I think that it's obvious that without having laid charges, the US could not hope for an extradition; further, the charges they laid and the possible penalties involved, if they did lay charges, would quite possibly stymie any extradition attempt.

#27 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:41 AM

View Postscotto, on 19 August 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

Saying that there have not been charges laid in thus country isn't verballing, it's a fact.

OK. If Assange has committed an offense in Swedish law, why no charges? And if Assange has committed an offense in Faroe Island law, why no charges?

View Postscotto, on 19 August 2012 - 11:10 AM, said:

You attempted to paint Assange as responsible for 1300 deaths without acknowledging 40,000 others which were covered up. How would you weight these up?

I didn't "attempt to paint anything", I just quoted a report on Assange's own words. So are you accepting that (however motivated), Assange's actions resulted in the deaths of 1300 people? Bit of a despot really.

I think that it's obvious that without having laid charges, the US could not hope for an extradition; further, the charges they laid and the possible penalties involved, if they did lay charges, would quite possibly stymie any extradition attempt.

So like me, do you think the suggestions that the Swedes are setting Assange up for extradition to the US are nonsensical (for the very reasons you just gave)?

Not sure what you meant by charges stymieing an extradition.

A spokesman for Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd told AFP the government would continue to provide Assange with full consular support.

Link

#28 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

View Posticey, on 19 August 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

OK. If Assange has committed an offense in Swedish law, why no charges? And if Assange has committed an offense in Faroe Island law, why no charges?

I didn't "attempt to paint anything", I just quoted a report on Assange's own words. So are you accepting that (however motivated), Assange's actions resulted in the deaths of 1300 people? Bit of a despot really.

So like me, do you think the suggestions that the Swedes are setting Assange up for extradition to the US are nonsensical (for the very reasons you just gave)?

Not sure what you meant by charges stymieing an extradition.

Link

Because there is no basis for charges. Obviously.

Despot..... So, he killed the people and he was in charge of the country? You still haven't commented on the 40,000 deaths.

Do you think we agree? Try these links:

Sweden and US in Assange extradition talks.

US pressures UK to storm embassy.

Regarding the 'assisstance' supposedly offered to Assange by Australia, read here for full text of the letters exchanged between Assange's lawyers and the - our - Australian government.

#29 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

View Postscotto, on 19 August 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

Because there is no basis for charges. Obviously.

Despot..... So, he killed the people and he was in charge of the country?

I meant in a metaphorical sense.

adjective: a ruler with absolute power and authority

Lord Assange wields his great might with thousands dying as a result. Divine!

View Postscotto, on 19 August 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

You still haven't commented on the 40,000 deaths.

Nor you, on deaths of thousands attributed to Assange. Guilty or not guilty?

Whatever you meant when you said.....

..... would apply equally in Sweden as in the UK. Unless you've some insight into the complexities of extradition laws and treaties you might care to share.

#30 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

It's evident you haven't read those links. If you want to wax metaphorical about Assange.... Well that's not really meaningful, is it?

I haven't attributed thousands of deaths to him, you have.

So.... You're not aware that Sweden only want Assange deported to answer questions? Not face charges?

#31 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

View Postscotto, on 19 August 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

I haven't attributed thousands of deaths to him, you have.

No I didn't. As I've already pointed out, Assange said he was responsible for thousands of deaths. Here's my final and last ditch attempt to elicit a meaningful response from you:

Assange said:

"1,300 people were eventually killed, and 350,000 were displaced. That was a result of our leak,"

Do you believe Assange's statement as to the cause of 1300 people dying. Or don't you? Is your man being truthful in his assertion?

View Postscotto, on 19 August 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

So.... You're not aware that Sweden only want Assange deported to answer questions? Not face charges?

I've not heard of any charges, but as I noted earlier, extradition law is complex. If the boxes aren't ticked, then the extradition ain't happening, and as I recall, Assange had the assistance of the esteemed darling of the left, Geoffrey Robinson QC to scrutinise the ticked boxes (pro bono no doubt).

#32 User is offline   GeorgeParsons 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:27 PM

Icey. Go and look at the charges. They are easy to find.

#33 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 19 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

View Posticey, on 19 August 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

No I didn't. As I've already pointed out, Assange said he was responsible for thousands of deaths. Here's my final and last ditch attempt to elicit a meaningful response from you:

Do you believe Assange's statement as to the cause of 1300 people dying. Or don't you? Is your man being truthful in his assertion?

I've not heard of any charges, but as I noted earlier, extradition law is complex. If the boxes aren't ticked, then the extradition ain't happening, and as I recall, Assange had the assistance of the esteemed darling of the left, Geoffrey Robinson QC to scrutinise the ticked boxes (pro bono no doubt).

He said that the leaks, which led to public outcry and then an election, started this process off. He also asked the question about the 40,000. Easy to sit in your armchair and select the facts you want to discuss.

Go and read about the non-charges. Then come back and read those other links I put up earlier.

#34 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 20 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

I give you some advice.....however it is in your hands whether to take it or not. No one is putting a gun to your head.
Disparaging individuals is not a wise move, as many act within a system for a system.You have to pick on the system instead......"not the individual trees in the forest.....but the whole forest".
I am of the view that this whole issue is not only a farce....but a confidence trick on the masses and Assange has to be part of it. However I am not blaming Assange as he may be a "pawn" in all this(he looks extremely naive and naive people are just perfect for this sort of operation) and being unwittingly used by the USA...I am blaming the system in which he operates.....namely (who else) the USA.To resort to this type of manipulation has to be a desperate move by the United States.....who knows it may even have a connection to the downfall of capitalism.....a sort of "last ditch" effort to preserve it in some way.
All I know is.....and this is fact....the majority of governments around the planet are really struggling to govern......from those of Europe to the USA and amazingly even under these conditions no solutions are found....and none will be.

#35 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:06 AM

One could ask, if Sweden only wants him extradited to answer questions, then why not get the British to ask him the questions?

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

#36 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostRoderick, on 20 August 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

One could ask, if Sweden only wants him extradited to answer questions, then why not get the British to ask him the questions?

Assange has offered numerous times to do this, or to answer questions via video link to Sweden, however Sweden has refused to take this option.

#37 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 20 August 2012 - 11:02 AM

View Postscotto, on 20 August 2012 - 09:37 AM, said:

Assange has offered numerous times to do this, or to answer questions via video link to Sweden, however Sweden has refused to take this option.

Then I'd say that he has every reason to be wary of the Swedes and to wonder if they have USterior motives.

It all seems a great to do over a very minor incident.

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

#38 User is offline   NotFrogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2012 - 01:27 PM

View Posticey, on 17 August 2012 - 05:42 PM, said:

An Australian seeking asylum in an embassy in Britain - what a joke.

Its more a joke that it has come to the point where an Australian citizen has to seek asylum in a foreign countries embassy, because his own wont protect him.

Don't know if this has previously been asked and answered, but if it's the evil Yanks he fears, haven't they got extradition rights with the UK. And if so, and they really wanted the twerp, they could have got him directly (leaving Sweden as a future "must visit" destination for Assange).

The charges have already been dropped once by Swedish authorities, but were picked up again by a new DA/DPP equivalent iirc. There has been historical precedent for questioning people outside of the jurisdiction of where the crime took place, and Assange has repeatedly offered to talk to the Swedish authorities over the phone, skype or email. Sweden recently enacted a new law that makes it much easier to extradite people from there (this im not 100% sure on.)

View Posticey, on 17 August 2012 - 10:27 PM, said:

That he's exploited ill-gotten gains (the data) to the detriment and danger of innocent parties.

No ill gotten gains. You really need to keep more up to date icey. This case has progressed much past your elementary understanding.

Wikileaks redacted a shitload of data, specifically because it might endanger lives.

That he's "on the run" and too gutless to face his accusers.

The charges have been dropped once, after he faced his accusers. He has repeatedly offered to face his accusers over the phone, or skype.

That he's manipulative and happy to blow the £240,000 bail post by his besotted supporters.

Im sure that the supporters are encouraged by your moral outrage over this issue, but I fear they will think it slightly misplaced.

That he's been supported as an Australian citizen, and yet run like a rat to (for heaven's sake) the Ecuadorian embassy.

Because his own government, and your, wont help him.

On the plus side.....?

Do you honestly see nothing good coming out of the whole wikileaks saga?

#39 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Christine Assange, the Wild Colonial Mother.

"I won't be doing an interview with you because you're acting like a pig," said the mother of the WikiLeaks founder.

Fairfax presenter ohn-Michael Howson said:

"Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!"

:D

He later said he was pointing out the "Nazi mentality" of those who tried to censor him.

#40 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:28 AM

View Posticey, on 21 August 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Yes, poor little John Michael Howson has had a history of losing it lately. He has formally apologised and been sent on a 4 week break by his employers since his outburst towards Christine Assange.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply