Page 1 of 1

The Commissioner

#1 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:31 PM

Anyone on these forums liking political thrillers and wishing to view one which is not set in the United States, this DVD movie with the above title is just right for you and I thoroughly recommend it.
Do not expect lots of "bang bang" (as in gun shooting not the other) as is usually the case with these made in the USA. This movie is slow and intelligent and interesting.
Amazingly I obtained this DVD by chance at the local Go-Lo store for $2.99 on Payless. It's in color and pretty modern. I'd say that it may be a Belgian production but it's in the English language (no subtitles).
I judge the age of the movie by the appearance of "mobile phones" in it. These became in prolific existence around 2000-2001. There is no mobile phones in this movie, only modern landline phones so I'd say this was made around 1998-99-2000-2001.
And why is it interesting?
I will not give much away, but for a start this is a political thriller set within the confines of the European Union which I have not seen in any movie previously.And have a look at the quirky way of 'committing suicide' which once again I have not seen anywhere in any American movie!
The tagline goes like this.
The principal star is John Hurt who is a Minister in the British cabinet. His Prime Minister has a conference with him to announce (to him) that he has to resign his portfolio in order to become a EU Commissioner. John Hurt objects, and is reluctant to do so on the grounds that quote"being a EU Commissioner is a political coffin" end quote The movie quite clearly, depicts these political machinations....that is being "transferred" from being a Cabinet minister to EU Commissioner as being not a promotion but a sidemotion. Apparently the positions of EU Commissioners are a convenience for EU states and are just a dumping ground in order to get rid of incompetent or troublesome Ministers which fall within their jurisdiction
That is all I am to reveal. If you want to know more try and obtain (or hire) the DVD.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#2 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

The Commissioner is a 1998 Belgian-German drama film directed by George Sluizer and written by Christina Kallas. It was entered into the 48th Berlin International Film Festival.[1]
[edit]Cast

John Hurt as James Morton
Rosana Pastor as Helena Moguentes
Alice Krige as Isabelle Morton
Armin Mueller-Stahl as Hans Koenig
Johan Leysen as Horst Kramer
Simon Chandler as Peter Simpson
David Morrissey as Murray Lomax
James Faulkner as Gordon Cartwright
Alan MacNaughtan as Karl Ritter
Bill Bolender as Arthur Groom
Julian Wadham as Prime Minister

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

#3 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

Thank you Roderick. I could not be bothered researching it on the internet....I love to theorize in any case...more fun that way. I was right on the date of production/release...1998 and half right on the Belgian production.
What I cannot understand is this. How could a film of this calibre finish up on the Payless list for $2.99 and being purchased from the local discount shop. I do not know whether it is actually available for rental from the DVD rental shops.
And about John Hurt... the last time I had seen him in a movie was in Midnight Express

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply