The Daily Wire: Ban Morality Clauses - The Daily Wire

Jump to content

  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3

Ban Morality Clauses

#21 User is offline   icey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3501
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:40 AM

View Postdumbcluck, on 17 March 2013 - 08:05 AM, said:

They are sufficiently concerned in that they are trying to disassociate themselves from a public perception that they sell alcohol. This in itself tells a story. Clearly Woolworths must be of the view that this perception may harm their business interests. "Nothing to suggest that Woolies are concerned".......you are surely jesting Icey



Just yesterday I flicked through Woolies colour sales booklet (letterbox delivered) which included at least two full pages advertising alcoholic beverages. Disassociation by blatant and expensive advertising of the product? :emot-roflolmao:

No, I was not jesting.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#22 User is offline   dumbcluck 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1240
  • Joined: 13-January 11

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

View Posticey, on 17 March 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

Just yesterday I flicked through Woolies colour sales booklet (letterbox delivered) which included at least two full pages advertising alcoholic beverages. Disassociation by blatant and expensive advertising of the product? :emot-roflolmao:

No, I was not jesting.


So you do not believe that Woolies unloaded it's liquor stores to BWS for the purpose I have stated?
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

This post has been edited by Bam: 19 March 2013 - 09:25 AM
Reason for edit: Mod edit: Fixup BB code for QUOTE tag

0

#23 User is offline   icey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3501
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:29 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 17 March 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

So you do not believe that Woolies unloaded it's liquor stores to BWS for the purpose I have stated?


No though they may have inadvertently fooled you.


Posted Image

Blind freddie would realise a close association exists.

Check your local Woolies bottleo specials here.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#24 User is offline   Roderick 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2748
  • Joined: 15-April 12
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Woolworths is not the least bit shy about its liquor outlets or the scads of hotels that it controls.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.
0

#25 User is offline   dumbcluck 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1240
  • Joined: 13-January 11

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:21 AM

View PostRoderick, on 17 March 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

Woolworths is not the least bit shy about its liquor outlets or the scads of hotels that it controls.

So can you explain why the change to BWS at their liquor outlets? A change of name for a business ain't exactly to it's advantage now is it...unless they were genuinely concerned about the association
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#26 User is offline   icey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3501
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:32 AM

View Postdumbcluck, on 18 March 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

So can you explain why the change to BWS at their liquor outlets? A change of name for a business ain't exactly to it's advantage now is it...unless they were genuinely concerned about the association


Surely I need not cite examples when reminding you that many, many businesses have played around with name changes and branding. There used to be a company called Kentucky Fried Chicken. Perhaps they changed to KFC to dissociate themselves from chicken farming.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#27 User is offline   Roderick 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2748
  • Joined: 15-April 12
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

View Postdumbcluck, on 18 March 2013 - 07:21 AM, said:

So can you explain why the change to BWS at their liquor outlets? A change of name for a business ain't exactly to it's advantage now is it...unless they were genuinely concerned about the association

Maybe it's catchier, whatever the reason Woolworths ain't shy about selling grog and lots of it.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.
0

#28 User is offline   dumbcluck 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1240
  • Joined: 13-January 11

Posted 18 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

I have just researched BWS via Google. It turns out that BWS stands for Beer Wine and Spirits. And it is part of the Woolworths conglomerate. This however does not change my argument. It actually proves me correct. The name of Woolworths has been dissociated from any liquor sales. As I said, it is obviously of the view that alcohol association is harming their sales (perhaps they became aware via various polling).By definition this means that in Australia society looks down on alcohol....a social policy which may be existent only in Australia
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#29 User is offline   Roderick 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2748
  • Joined: 15-April 12
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 18 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 18 March 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

I have just researched BWS via Google. It turns out that BWS stands for Beer Wine and Spirits. And it is part of the Woolworths conglomerate. This however does not change my argument. It actually proves me correct. The name of Woolworths has been dissociated from any liquor sales. As I said, it is obviously of the view that alcohol association is harming their sales (perhaps they became aware via various polling).By definition this means that in Australia society looks down on alcohol....a social policy which may be existent only in Australia

Far from distancing themselves, Woolworths are into the grog, wholesale, retail, marketing and promotion and encouraging more and more consumption.
Visit their websites, all these are Woolworths: BWS; Dan Murphy's; Woolworths' Liquor Group; Cellarmasters; Cellar Force; Wine IQ; Wine Ark and last but not least ALH.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.
0

#30 User is offline   dumbcluck 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1240
  • Joined: 13-January 11

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:41 PM

Roderick stop being an ass. I was actually told that this was the reason Woolies changed the name. I was told plainly by one of the Woolies manager that liquor outlets next to Woolies shopping complexes have changed their name so Woolies will not be associated with liquor sales next to their shopping complexes. So please you and Icey just stop being asses. Evidently there were complaints perhaps due to families visiting these shopping complexes
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#31 User is offline   icey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3501
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:22 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 18 March 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

I have just researched BWS via Google. It turns out that BWS stands for Beer Wine and Spirits.


:emot-roflolmao:

The kilo penny drops.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#32 User is offline   icey 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3501
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 18 March 2013 - 09:41 PM, said:

I was actually told that this was the reason Woolies changed the name. I was told plainly by one of the Woolies manager that liquor outlets next to Woolies shopping complexes have changed their name so Woolies will not be associated with liquor sales next to their shopping complexes. So please you and Icey just stop being asses. Evidently there were complaints perhaps due to families visiting these shopping complexes

I was actually told


..... citation needed.


:emot-roflolmao:
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#33 User is offline   dumbcluck 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1240
  • Joined: 13-January 11

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:44 AM

If you do not believe me...then mate that is your bad luck.We are not in a court of law here with Icey being His Hon Justice Icey!
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#34 User is offline   Roderick 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2748
  • Joined: 15-April 12
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:23 AM

View Postdumbcluck, on 19 March 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

If you do not believe me...then mate that is your bad luck.We are not in a court of law here with Icey being His Hon Justice Icey!

Mate,
There are over 800 Woolworths stores in Australia and Woolworths employ over 175,000 people and ONE employee told you something about the company; and his opinion is gospel?
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.
0

#35 User is offline   NotFrogman 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 856
  • Joined: 24-July 12

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostRoderick, on 19 March 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Mate,
There are over 800 Woolworths stores in Australia and Woolworths employ over 175,000 people and ONE employee told you something about the company; and his opinion is gospel?

So you will be treating all anecdotal evidence with the same disdain in future, correct?
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#36 User is offline   Bam 

  • Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 3205
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostRoderick, on 19 March 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Mate,
There are over 800 Woolworths stores in Australia and Woolworths employ over 175,000 people and ONE employee told you something about the company; and his opinion is gospel?

Although I wouldn't be putting a lot of faith in the accuracy of anecdotes, this one may be accurate. I have had some trouble finding firm citations but it is mentioned on the BWS page in Wikipedia (so it is of dubious accuracy until proven otherwise).
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#37 User is offline   Roderick 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2748
  • Joined: 15-April 12
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:46 PM

View PostNotFrogman, on 19 March 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

So you will be treating all anecdotal evidence with the same disdain in future, correct?

More or less correct depending on the source of the anecdote, like I hear that Giz Watson over there in WA is spittin' chips; now I could well believe that.
There is also a rumour that some Shooters' and Fishers' Party supporters have been seen in their local Woolworths owned grog shop buying a few celebratory libations, only anecdotal but I'd believe it.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.
0

#38 User is offline   dumbcluck 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1240
  • Joined: 13-January 11

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:53 PM

View PostRoderick, on 19 March 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

Mate,
There are over 800 Woolworths stores in Australia and Woolworths employ over 175,000 people and ONE employee told you something about the company; and his opinion is gospel?

No but I have a brain like you are supposed to have and it is common sense (do you know what that is 'cause I doubt it)that this is the reason for the change of names on the outlets. What are the other reasons....Woolies suddenly decided that they are ashamed of their name on one of their outlets so it decided to change it's name?
And in any case you seem to be in denial that Australia kowtows to religious interests on this issue of alcohol.
For example...did you know that in comparable countries (e.g. Europe and North America) you can purchase alcoholic beverages with your grocery shopping. Only in Australia is a fuss made on the sale of these beverages.And it's not like it is benefiting our society as we have the same social problems as those other countries
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#39 User is offline   Roderick 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2748
  • Joined: 15-April 12
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 19 March 2013 - 06:53 PM, said:

No but I have a brain like you are supposed to have and it is common sense (do you know what that is 'cause I doubt it)that this is the reason for the change of names on the outlets. What are the other reasons....Woolies suddenly decided that they are ashamed of their name on one of their outlets so it decided to change it's name?
And in any case you seem to be in denial that Australia kowtows to religious interests on this issue of alcohol.
For example...did you know that in comparable countries (e.g. Europe and North America) you can purchase alcoholic beverages with your grocery shopping. Only in Australia is a fuss made on the sale of these beverages.And it's not like it is benefiting our society as we have the same social problems as those other countries

Maybe they think that 'BWS' is more catchy, like The Bank of New South Wales changed its name to Westpac (Western Pacific), there could be many reasons but the most unlikely is your theory that they were suddenly ashamed of their billion dollar grog interests.
How did the religious interests suddenly get into the plot?
Have you never heard of the man who went through a train asking for a Catholic priest or a Mason?

He wanted to borrow a bottle opener.

I'm well aware of grocers selling grog, I lived in Ireland for a time and the local Quinnsworth (now Tesco Ireland) supermarket sold a vast range of wines including some that were over £100/- a bottle, and that was in 1979/80.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.
0

#40 User is offline   dumbcluck 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1240
  • Joined: 13-January 11

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:17 AM

So if you are aware of grocers selling grog overseas....how come in Australia this is prohibited?
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

Share this topic:


  • 3 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3


Fast Reply