Remarks about Moderation

#1 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostBam, on 22 March 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

Moderator note: I have unapproved several posts that involved personal attacks, sexism and flaming. Please follow the forum rules. - BAM

Bam I think that you'd have to start a permanent thread specially for this sort of thing where you publish the posts which were censored . I do not think that on these forums there will be many posts like these anyway
You cannot unilaterally judge a post to be...such and such a thing.....etc.This is undemocratic. People are sufficiently wise not to be offended and it is really up to all of us on these forums...the majority to judge such an event. Furthermore my suggestion is even beneficial to you as moderator. It takes the responsibility away from you and places it onto all of us to censor
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#2 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:33 AM

View Postdumbcluck, on 24 March 2013 - 07:38 AM, said:

Bam I think that you'd have to start a permanent thread specially for this sort of thing where you publish the posts which were censored . I do not think that on these forums there will be many posts like these anyway
You cannot unilaterally judge a post to be...such and such a thing.....etc.This is undemocratic. People are sufficiently wise not to be offended and it is really up to all of us on these forums...the majority to judge such an event. Furthermore my suggestion is even beneficial to you as moderator. It takes the responsibility away from you and places it onto all of us to censor

DC, you are incorrect. As a moderator, I can unilaterally judge a post to be in breach of the rules and take whatever action I see fit. That is what moderators do. As a matter of course I and the other moderators do routinely unapprove posts that breach the rules. When we do this, we generally post notes in the thread when this happens - we are not required to do this but do it anyway as a courtesy.

Sometimes too we unapprove or delete posts without providing any notice but this only occurs for double posts and spam.

Allowing posts that breach the rules to remain visible weakens the application of the rules; anyone who sees them will ask, "Why is that person calling the poster a 'fucking dickhead' when it's against the rules?" It would only encourage more similar behaviour. Unapproving offending posts is therefore necessary to ensure the rules are followed. Having the infringing posts removed is a punishment for breaches of the rules, along with warnings and suspensions.

BAM

#3 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:20 AM

Hi Bam. I had thought that these forums were more civilized than that. If you banned posts which contain the words "fuckhead" and "dickhead" than so be it. I would do similarly. There is no need to use profanities to express your point of view

#4 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:53 AM

View Postdumbcluck, on 25 March 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

Hi Bam. I had thought that these forums were more civilized than that. If you banned posts which contain the words "fuckhead" and "dickhead" than so be it. I would do similarly. There is no need to use profanities to express your point of view

The above post was mistakenly placed in the KRudd thread, but I agree with DC's last line.

#5 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:42 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 25 March 2013 - 07:20 AM, said:

There is no need to use profanities to express your point of view

View Posticey, on 25 March 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

I agree with DC's last line.

The moderators do delete profanity from posts from time to time.

BAM

#6 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

View PostBam, on 24 March 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

Sometimes too we unapprove or delete posts without providing any notice but this only occurs for double posts and spam.

This also happens if the poster has requested that a post be deleted, which most commonly occurs for double posts.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply