• 2 Pages +

Meet the Liberator This deserves a thread of its own

#21 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

The trouble with 3D printing is that curves do not print well in rastered output. All guns have parts that rotate or allow rotation. A barrel is round because bullets must be given spin as it traverses the barrel. A revolver has a round chamber. The hammer may have a round contact, as would the trigger. All these parts must make smooth contact. Rastered output cannot print a curve; it prints a series of jagged edges that only approximates a curve. These jagged edges would cause the mechanism to catch and jam when it rotates. I would expect therefore that a gun printed with a 3D printer would be very prone to jamming unless the parts are sanded to remove the jagged edges. Some of these parts are internal and cannot be sanded easily.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#22 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

View PostBam, on 30 May 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

I suppose if the person pointing the gun was so incredibly stupid and clueless that they would actually wait and see what the other person is doing before pulling the trigger, then we just might have a situation where someone actually has the time to retrieve a second gun, aim it and fire it.

It's not believable that someone with a cocked and pointed gun will actually be stupid enough to allow this. Anyone with any common sense at all in this situation won't wait and see - they will pull the trigger on any suspicious movement.

For that matter, where do you get the idea that someone with a gun is invincible?

I don't think that a person with a gun is invincible, but in my younger days I used to be able to draw and fire before a person with a cocked pistol could pull the trigger, I hasten to add that I was not unique there were some that I knew who were faster than me and others who were famous for their speed at drawing and firing a pistol in public demonstrations.

A lot of it has to do with reaction speed and the person drawing against and therefore initiating the action has zero reaction time; if the person with the cocked pistol has a reaction time of half of one second then he/she has had it and will be the loser.
Just for a bit of fun try this
Reaction time.

Arvo Ojala My link

For further proof, Arvo would drop a silver dollar with his gun hand (right) from belt height, then draw and hit the coin before it could fall four inches. This was using "live", or full-power ammunition, not the wax bullets and quarter-loads used today in so-called "fast draw" competitions. In another exhibition, his opponent (using blanks) would face him with his pistol out of the holster and cocked, then nod as he simultaneously fired his revolver, while Arvo would draw and fire before the opponent could get a shot off. He never lost.

Another of Arvo's tricks was to stand about ten feet from an upright wooden plank, he would throw a knife with his gun hand then draw and fire and the knife would stick in the bullet hole.
Many of us tried this but none succeeded.

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

#23 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:09 PM

Ojala was "the genuine article" to those he tutored. His speed was clocked and verified a number of times. He could draw, fire, and hit the target! in one-sixth of a second, faster than the eye can blink

From the link above.

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply