Page 1 of 1

Are they dumber?

#1 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:12 AM

Am I wrong or is Australia the only country in the English speaking world which uses the asylum seeker issue as a major platform in an election campaign?
I remind the readers that this issue is one of the major platforms of the Coalition in the upcoming Federal election.
If I am not wrong then the Coalition must be of the view that the Australian electorate is the dumbest in the English speaking world and is treating it as such.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#2 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:56 AM

View Postdumbcluck, on 31 May 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

Am I wrong or is Australia the only country in the English speaking world which uses the asylum seeker issue as a major platform in an election campaign?
I remind the readers that this issue is one of the major platforms of the Coalition in the upcoming Federal election.
If I am not wrong then the Coalition must be of the view that the Australian electorate is the dumbest in the English speaking world and is treating it as such.

One of the dumbest? Let's count the "dumb" in September whilst the reminder may consider themselves "elite" (if it eases their misguided pain).

#3 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:58 AM

With the systematic dumbing down of the issues by the MSM and the like, it's no wonder that an educated debate on the issues cannot be held in this country. No wonder that we keep seeing "slogans for bogans".

All issues are simplified to irrelevancies, as if the worth of a government revolves around the number of boats arriving on our shores. It's stupid, and it masks the real issues. Do sensible adults really care more about how many refugees arrive by boats than if they will keep their jobs, educate their children and the like?

#4 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yes but this is not answering my question. Is Australia the only English speaking country which has as a major electoral issue the asylum seeker matter? From what I can gather not even in the USA Presidential Elections was this a major issue anyway. It seems that Abbott and Coalition must think that Australians are the dumbest voters in the English speaking world

#5 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:41 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 31 May 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

Yes but this is not answering my question. Is Australia the only English speaking country which has as a major electoral issue the asylum seeker matter? From what I can gather not even in the USA Presidential Elections was this a major issue anyway. It seems that Abbott and Coalition must think that Australians are the dumbest voters in the English speaking world

Illegal immigration was an issue in the US Presidential electiob and continues to be a huge problem, only there they are not boat people but land people, they walk in.

Why limit your query to the English speaking countries?

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

#6 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:04 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 31 May 2013 - 08:15 PM, said:

It seems that Abbott and Coalition must think that Australians are the dumbest voters in the English speaking world

Haven't you forgotten someone?

She said the government's policy goal was clear. "It is to wreck the people smuggling trade by removing the incentive for boats to leave their ports of origin in the first place," Ms Gillard said.

Well that covers 90% of the voting public leaving just elite dumbchucks to grumble.

#7 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 01 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

Yes but are you not confusing the issue here. The ALP has not this issue as a major electoral platform has it?
Only the Coalition has this. And you still have not answered my question.
They must b e all illiterate as they do not understand what is written. As far as I know I am writing in the English language on these forums. Please tell me if I am not as then it must be my fault.

#8 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:25 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 01 June 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Yes but are you not confusing the issue here. The ALP has not this issue as a major electoral platform has it?

They can't! They tried last election (look at the date on the linked article in my prior post). After the abject failure of two successive liberal governments, they'd be even more the laughing stock if they suggested they could now be effective.

View Postdumbcluck, on 01 June 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

Only the Coalition has this. And you still have not answered my question.
They must b e all illiterate as they do not understand what is written. As far as I know I am writing in the English language on these forums. Please tell me if I am not as then it must be my fault.

Negative and yet affirmative respectively.

#9 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 02 June 2013 - 09:12 AM

Asylum: Refuge or sanctuary (Collins Dictionary).This means that an "asylum seeker" is someone who is seeking refuge or sanctuary. Furthermore according to statistics most cases are genuine.
So this means that the Coalition wants our vote to carry out a policy where it will refuse these people refuge and sanctuary?
Oh and by the way Icey...very slick my friend...you are showing your true intelligence and genius

#10 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:37 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 02 June 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Asylum: Refuge or sanctuary (Collins Dictionary).This means that an "asylum seeker" is someone who is seeking refuge or sanctuary. Furthermore according to statistics most cases are genuine.
So this means that the Coalition wants our vote to carry out a policy where it will refuse these people refuge and sanctuary?

Oh please! Let us all marvel. Share a link to support your implied claim that the Coalition has a policy where it will refuse a place to those assessed as genuine refugees.

#11 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 June 2013 - 07:59 AM

View Posticey, on 02 June 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

Oh please! Let us all marvel. Share a link to support your implied claim that the Coalition has a policy where it will refuse a place to those assessed as genuine refugees.

Show us where the Coalition have explicitly stated that they will not be tightening the assessment criteria to determine who is a genuine refugee.

#12 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:43 AM

View Posticey, on 02 June 2013 - 08:37 PM, said:

I see you do not follow current affairs Icey. All you hear on there is the Coalition spokesman talking about how the Gillard Government is allowing so many boats into Australian waters...ad nauseum. So many this week......and so many the next week.
What do you make out of this...that the Coalition is a not sea faring political party?

#13 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

View Postdumbcluck, on 03 June 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

icey, on 02 June 2013 - 08:37 PM, said: Oh please! Let us all marvel. Share a link to support your implied claim that the Coalition has a policy where it will refuse a place to those assessed as genuine refugees.

I see you do not follow current affairs Icey. All you hear on there is the Coalition spokesman talking about how the Gillard Government is allowing so many boats into Australian waters...ad nauseum. So many this week......and so many the next week.
What do you make out of this...that the Coalition is a not sea faring political party?

Oh, I thought we were talking about refusing genuine refugees refuge and sanctuary. Mea culpa. Must be my inability to comprehend your intent.

Yes, the Lib's do say they'll "stop the boats", but do remember that it was your gal that said "another boat on the way, another policy failure".

#14 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 03 June 2013 - 10:55 AM

View PostBam, on 03 June 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Show us where the Coalition have explicitly stated that they will not be tightening the assessment criteria to determine who is a genuine refugee.

The Government was grossly negligent in keeping a known and convicted jihadist terrorist in low security asylum seeker family accommodation at Inverbrackie for five months, a facility secured by a perimeter pool fence and located adjacent to a defence force facility.

No need to. I'm hoping they will tighten things up.

#15 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 03 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

Well now it just so happens that I saw the Coalition spokesman on this matter saying that asylum seekers of some description under Federal law....would be allowed in Australia and they will be eligible for welfare, but there is a proviso. They will have to work for it in community projects.
So now...from "stopping the boats" they are now accepting them in the community. They do not want to "stop the boats" anymore. The Coalition seems to be rather confused on this issue.

#16 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 03 June 2013 - 05:04 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 03 June 2013 - 12:14 PM, said:

Well now it just so happens that I saw the Coalition spokesman on this matter saying that asylum seekers of some description under Federal law....would be allowed in Australia and they will be eligible for welfare, but there is a proviso. They will have to work for it in community projects.
So now...from "stopping the boats" they are now accepting them in the community. They do not want to "stop the boats" anymore. The Coalition seems to be rather confused on this issue.

The confusion is all yours as usual. There's no change to "stopping the boats", and your vague anecdote does nothing to suggest otherwise.

#17 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:13 PM

View Posticey, on 03 June 2013 - 10:55 AM, said:

No need to. I'm hoping they will tighten things up.

Won't happen. 30,000 km of coastline, 8 million square kilometres of ocean, and many small boats.

#18 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

Looks like you are confused silly Icey. How you can you stop the boats whilst at the same time accept them in the community? Don't you know they come by.....boats! It's either one or the other. Obviously if the boats are stopped completely there will be no one to accept in the community. I know you are too confused to get....but trust me I am right

#19 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 June 2013 - 05:08 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 04 June 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Looks like you are confused silly Icey. How you can you stop the boats whilst at the same time accept them in the community? Don't you know they come by.....boats! It's either one or the other. Obviously if the boats are stopped completely there will be no one to accept in the community. I know you are too confused to get....but trust me I am right

Actually, a lot of asylum seekers arrive by plane.

#20 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 05 June 2013 - 03:12 PM

However the majority come by boat....so how can you stop the boats which of course means there will be no people arriving in order to then make them work for welfare as being advocated by the Coalition?
Surely a confused policy and if you think that it is not....you are as confused as it

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply