Post Election Observations

#1 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:37 AM

1) The Panels
I was switching from the ABC to Channel 9 on election night. When ads appeared on the latter I'd switch to the ABC.
On 9 one of the panelists was Peter Costello...the "mental giant" of the Howard era. It is unbelievable how stupid and arrogant this man is.
When comments were uttered on the Rudd/ Gillard Governments achievments in social policy and others and where specifically the national disabilty insurance and the Gonski education reforms were mentioned Costello stated quote "oh they have bi-partisan support" end quote. This was meant to give the impression that the Coalition is also into "bread and butter" reform mode.He must be kidding!
As an important minister in the Howard era this guy has more face than Woolworths! During the numerous years of the Howard era can anyone name a tangible "bread and butter" reform which was achieved? There was nothing! A wasted number of years and a disaster for Australia where complete laissez-faire reigned. So he should be the last person to comment on social reform
Secondly that "bi-partisan" support he was talking about was done by Abbott and his incompetent company by simply acquiescing to those reforms. In short they were not the "initiators".....but the "copyiers" This is akin to to a school student copying someone else's work in a school exam in order to pass that exam. A true trademark of an incompetent.
2) The speeches
I noted both speeches and although I thought both were cliched and full of platitudes, Rudd of whom I always had the view that he is a far more superior speaker than Abbott looked better. He has a natural look standing on a rostrum unlike Abbott who looks awkward.
In addition Abbott has this annoying habit of "gaping" his mouth prior to uttering phrases which kinda reminded me of my young days at Luna Park in Sydney where they had these busts of clown heads with gaping mouths swivelling from side to side and where you'd insert a ball in that mouth and if it hits where it is supposed to hit a prize is won.
As PM Abbott would, when he meets world leaders and the diplomatic corps here in Australia, would "gape" when he speaks which I am sure will be noted by all and sundry. They will not comment openly or publicly on this after all that is what diplomacy is all about, they will just laugh about it behind his back and that of Australia
3) I'm emigrating!
Some of the Tweets were stating the notion of emigrating to England and other places in the aftermath of a Coalition win. Not me! I am gonna like living in Australia even more now watching the the "three blind mice"....Abbott...Bishop...and Hockey trodding along in a disaster after disaster until they hit that "electoral quicksand".On the other hand however, if laissez-faire is practised not unlike under the Howard era and it is twice as likely under Abbott no political disasters shall become exposed as there will be none You see when a government does nothing no errors are committed.And under this system it is primarily beneficial to the incompetent government as no criticism especially from big business is undertaken which can harm it.Laissez-faire is a real safe practice for incompetent governments just ask Howard and Costello they are experts at it. Let us be frank about it.... living in a democracy is much more fun than living under a dictatorship
Fortunately the Coalition has a lifeline...in the name of Malcolm Turnbull, but it is even too dumb to realize this
PETER BEATTIE
I've added this segment after I saw a piece on TV where Peter Beattie was interviewed in the aftermath of his electorate defeat.
From the start I must say that I like him and especially his eloquence (not many prominent politicians in Australia are this eloquent since Whitlam and Hawke). However I disagree on his point of being an armchair critic viz-a-viz a political career.
Peter not everyone is suited for a political career. It is not as simple nor sufficient to say that I like to make a difference so I'll become a politician. Many would like to do that but are loath to make the move as they do not like the lifestyle. This is describing my attitude. Total lifestyle freedom and being a politician are not compatible as you are constantly under the microscope.
I totally value my freedom and you do not have to possess great wealth to live in this predicament.But does this mean that I am prohibited from being a critic?
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#2 User is offline   Eb2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCanberra

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

When is Tony going to start buying the boats? (worst policy announcement of the campaign)
Thats one arrival on his watch already.
Labors campaign was pretty poor but getting rid of Gillard saved around 15 to 20 seats.
Go Albo for leader and save Shorten for later.
Rudd has to go sooner rather than later.

Tony will stop the boats, even if he has to buy them all.

#3 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

I am thinking that this Abbott Government will be a duplicate of the Howard Government....a do nothing "bread and butter" policies government.....you know the usual sh***t incompetent.
policies which has no direct bearing on the typical Australian battler. More roads..stopping the boats...defense spending increase....you ain't going to see more housing built for example....or an increase in the free dental scheme or for Medicare. If anything there will be cutbacks.
And most of all laissez-faire where taxes (especially on big business) will not happen on the pretext of more investment....which is a stupid proposal....if this is the case then no business small or big should not pay tax so there will be more investment. Leave the poor middle class only paying tax...that is the way. It does not invest...it just pays.
It will survive if big business is left alone...why would they complain against the government and harm it in voters eyes. That is the great advantage of an incompetent, do nothing, laissez-faire government...it keeps surviving until it gets too "big for it's boots" and enact something like "Workchoices" which gets it off side with the voters

#4 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 11 September 2013 - 08:49 AM, said:

If anything there will be cutbacks.

Remember the ALP mantra; "cut, cut, cut".

Never mind that the proposed cuts were (sadly) in the order of a skerrick of a percent of GDP.

#5 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:00 AM

Here's a cracker of an article about Aboriginal voting patterns in the recent election and some analysis of why it worked this way.

If the swing against the Coalition in Aboriginal communities was replicated across Australia, Tony Abbott would be leading a minor party, writes Chris Graham.

#6 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:48 AM

http://au.news.yahoo...bott-boat-plan/

Looks like...as I said above...Abbott and the rest of the 3 blind mice have bungled already....and only a few days after the election. Prior to the election we were told that Indonesia accepts Abbott's plan on asylum seekers ( told by Abbott and the rest of his cohorts) whilst Rudd and company said that it will not.
Guess what? Rudd was right and Abbott was wrong.
I mean these people looked incompetent....when they started openly "copying" other party's programmes

#7 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:39 PM

So, post-election we have more than 200,000 people publicly petitioning against the LNP's NBN plan, the Indonesian government openly rejecting their asylum seeker policy, a flat rejection by Aboriginal voters..... gives the'off' in 'off and running' a whole new meaning.

#8 User is offline   Eb2 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationCanberra

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:31 PM

Stop the boats Tony please stop the boats.
6 days 2 boats and 300 asylum seekers. Stop them Tony.

Tony will stop the boats, even if he has to buy them all.

#9 User is offline   HDMC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNQ

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:03 PM

View Postscotto, on 13 September 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

So, post-election we have more than 200,000 people publicly petitioning against the LNP's NBN plan, the Indonesian government openly rejecting their asylum seeker policy, a flat rejection by Aboriginal voters..... gives the'off' in 'off and running' a whole new meaning.

Poll after poll found majority support for most Labor policies.

The reality is dawning for a lot of people that they voted against their own best interests.

Seen it before in Qld.

#10 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

View PostHDMC, on 13 September 2013 - 03:03 PM, said:

The reality is dawning for a lot of people that they voted against their own best interests.

Seen it before in Qld.

Where Newman remains nearly as popular as at his last election?

#11 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:23 PM

View Postscotto, on 13 September 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

Throw in the tree-hggers a a group and you'd have even more against Abbott. Not enough to win an election of course! :)

#12 User is offline   HDMC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNQ

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

View Posticey, on 13 September 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Throw in the tree-hggers a a group and you'd have even more against Abbott. Not enough to win an election of course! :)

The bloke who started the petition is a self confessed Lib voter.

"The petition has already been successful in the sense that it has got the nation talking about the NBN," said Nick Paine, the person who started the petition.

"It's also showed that people really want this new government to engage with them beyond election day. I voted Liberal this time around, because I felt that overall, they would do a better job than Labor.

"I believe that all Australians have a right to reliable internet at fair prices, it should not be reserved for those who happen to live in the fortunate markets, or those who can afford it.

http://www.itwire.co...ep-nbn-on-fibre

#13 User is offline   HDMC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNQ

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:35 PM

View Posticey, on 13 September 2013 - 03:22 PM, said:

Where Newman remains nearly as popular as at his last election?

Not from the vibe I'm getting.

#14 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 13 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

View Posticey, on 13 September 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

Gee..... Funny how we're talking about policy.... And you're not getting the point....

#15 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

View PostHDMC, on 13 September 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

Not from the vibe I'm getting.

View PostHDMC, on 13 September 2013 - 03:35 PM, said:

The bloke who started the petition is a self confessed Lib voter

Ignore the sole voter & the vibe, get with the Newman buzz.

QLD Newspoll poll said:

On a speculative two-party-preferred basis, the latest results reduce the LNP to 59 per cent, compared with its outstanding performance in the March 2012 election when it registered 62.8 per cent and its first-term low of 56 per cent at the end of last year.

View Postscotto, on 13 September 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

Gee..... Funny how we're talking about policy.... And you're not getting the point....

Well my point is that despite the possible existence of umpteen (apparently anti-Abbott) millions, even more umpteen millon members of the voting public turfed the old lot out.

With gusto!

Discuss....

#16 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 13 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

Not with so much gusto as was anticipated, as it turns out.

Again, the point is made that vote outcomes are not always closely connected with policy.

#17 User is offline   HDMC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNQ

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:56 AM

View Posticey, on 13 September 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Ignore the sole voter & the vibe, get with the Newman buzz.

As I said, poll after poll found strong support for FTTP. Please supply evidence that Nick Paine is the only Lib voter who has signed this petition.

Right at the moment in Townsville, some consumers have FTTP and some won't be getting it unless they pay. A lot of businesses big and small are a wee bit peeved. Hell, some of them may even have signed the petition.

Townsville Chamber of Commerce chief executive Marie-Claude Brown said she did not have an opinion on which broadband model was better, but there were difficulties in models that required businesses to pay for their own fibre connection to the node, as per the Coalition's policy.

"If it will cost a business $5000 to install fibre from the premises (to the node). That might not sound like much, but with all the other costs for businesses, that becomes difficult."

On the Newman thing, I did not say a majority, I said a lot are realising they voted against their own interests. I stand by that.

#18 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 14 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostHDMC, on 14 September 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

On the Newman thing, I did not say a majority, I said a lot are realising they voted against their own interests. I stand by that.

Crikey! I certainly voted against my own personal interest in respect to "free" fibre to the node (and I do use the term as loosely as the other side was accustomed to do).

No need to thank me though! :)

#19 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

View Posticey, on 13 September 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Well my point is that despite the possible existence of umpteen (apparently anti-Abbott) millions, even more umpteen millon members of the voting public turfed the old lot out.

With gusto!

Discuss....

Sure. The fact that the LNP has been elected to government is not an automatic mandate for every one of their policies. It's cheap, but predictable, for the incoming government to point to the election result as vindication for all of their policies, but this is just not true.

This leaves aside the question of whether there is any such thing as a 'mandate' in any case. It's really just a way for a government or PM to try to straight jacket the Opposition or even their own party into doing what they want. Politics here is replete with examples of governments who brought in policies that were revealed after an election rather than before, or for whatever reason did not go ahead with previously announced policies.

That said:

Take for example the PPL policy of the LNP. There has been a great amount of disagreement with this policy from all quarters, including the Liberal party itself, and for Abbott to proclaim that now he has an undeniable mandate for this policy is laughable.

Similarly, cuts to foreign aid were announced only just prior to polling day. To claim any kind of mandate for these would be ridiculous.

NBN policies were debated a great deal, and it is patently obvious that this was not a great selling point in the LNP victory.

Now, the LNP claims that it did sell itself on the basis of 'stopping the waste' and 'stopping the boats,' besides the tactic of giving various people large sums of cash [Direct Action, Indonesian boat sellers, etc].

Unfortunately though, all analysis of their budget "emergency" measures have pointed out that their cuts are in fact trivial [and symbolic, in the case of foreign aid] in nature, and that the "day one" action on the refugee front has now retreated "weeks and months" into the future. In fact, last we knew, Abbott's team was not even getting ready to be sworn in.

I guess they'll get around to running the country some time.

#20 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

On other issues, we see that Barney the Carney is already running wild on the foreign investment issue, lately mouthing off about the advertised Indonesian plan to buy breeding properties for their supply chain. More 'Yellow Peril' rubbish from Barney.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply