#1 User is offline   Senexx 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 March 2011 - 01:56 PM

Released today or yesterday probably.

I've downloaded it.

My first impression was a poor IE8.0+ clone. I can't stand what they've done with IE since IE6, moved buttons and features all over the place so you can't find anything.

I was wrong! Only sort of though.

I was on my computer's administrator's account when I did that. Once I shifted back to my limited user account, everything was where I liked it, so I didn't have to go searching for the features to put things back where they went.

I didn't have to toggle the toolbar menu or go searching for my buttons for my addons, most of them are still on display.

I might have to figure out where my Xmarks Sync button is now though since there is not a status bar any longer.

So that's my first impression.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

Support the Independents, Democracy always needs and requires a balance of power.

Counter Insurgent,

Deficit Terrorist Unit

#2 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

I have just downloaded Firefox 4.0. There is one complaint with this latest Firefox....I had the previous Firefox 3 and it had on the bottom right hand corner of the PC a "green" sliding scale where it shows you the extent of connection on dial-up ( I am on dial up) This new Firefox 4.0 has not got it. I like that green scale or at least I got used to it. I tried to go into Options in the Mozilla Firefox "Tools' perhaps I thought I'll adjust the setting...no cigar. I don't even have the usual 'icons" on the top left hand corner...you know where you have a little home drawn.....to get you to "home page" and the little curled arrow to "retry" etc.I think I'll send an email to Fire fox about this.

#3 User is offline   Senexx 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 April 2011 - 07:40 PM

Dumbcluck, most things are still there once you tell firefox to display toolbars in the settings.

That said, I strongly recommend a low GB limit DSL plan for you at a minimum

Support the Independents, Democracy always needs and requires a balance of power.

Counter Insurgent,

Deficit Terrorist Unit

#4 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:26 PM

You are right...it must be in the settings. Senexx...for my internet usage I have looked at every plan from top to bottom and sideways and nothing can beat the plan I am on right now.....5 dollars a month unlimited downloads. sure it's dial up....but I have noticed that if I keep my HD clean and defrag often the speed is not that bad...I mean it took me 25 minutes to download Firefox 4.0 which is about 12 MB.Of course whilst it was downloading I was using the internet at the same time.

#5 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:44 PM

View PostSenexx, on 07 April 2011 - 07:40 PM, said:

Dumbcluck, most things are still there once you tell firefox to display toolbars in the settings.

Yes, the disappearence of familiar toolbars is nearly as disconcerting with Firefox as it is when I am forced to use Office 2010.

Thanks for your tip. In due course I'll google the specific settings parameter to get my flamin' toolbars back! In the meantime, I've lived with pushing Alt-T when I get a bit lost.

dumbcluck: Stick with your $5 plan if it hits the spot and you don't need to iview a Gillard interview for light entertainment.

#6 User is offline   AlexSchlotzer 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:51 PM

I haven't really noticed anything about Firefox 4.0 I'm particularly unhappy about.

----
Alex Schlotzer
Visit my Blog about politics, online activism and social media.

#7 User is offline   AlexSchlotzer 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

View Posticey, on 07 April 2011 - 08:44 PM, said:

Yes, the disappearence of familiar toolbars is nearly as disconcerting with Firefox as it is when I am forced to use Office 2010.

Thanks for your tip. In due course I'll google the specific settings parameter to get my flamin' toolbars back! In the meantime, I've lived with pushing Alt-T when I get a bit lost.

dumbcluck: Stick with your $5 plan if it hits the spot and you don't need to iview a Gillard interview for light entertainment.

dumbcluck: Totally agree with Icey - stick with the plan that works for you and by the sounds of it you do have what works for you.

----
Alex Schlotzer
Visit my Blog about politics, online activism and social media.

#8 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:00 AM

I had to post the problem on the Firefox website as settings could not do it..and boy were they fast..have a gander:
I'm not sure what you mean by "connection scale". If you are referring to the padlock, this has been replaced by the site identity button, for details on using it see https://support.mozi...Identity+Button

The Home button by default has been moved to the right hand side of the navigation toolbar, you can move it back. For details of how to do that see https://support.mozi...tomize-toolbars

If any buttons are missing, you can restore them as shown here - https://support.mozi...ems+are+missing

Adding to what has already been mentioned, perhaps you are looking for the progress bar which used to show at the bottom right corner of Firefox while opening a website. In Firefox 4, this has been replaced by the rotating wheel on the left side of each tab.

If you wish to get the progress bar back, you can install this Firefox add-on: status-4-evar.

#9 User is offline   Senexx 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:55 PM

Fair enough DC, when my old Dial Up took up to 5mins to download 1MB and I needed to look at graphic intensive sites it became a problem. You're right though, you can't beat the price.

Other than Firefox still being a bit of a resource hog, I'm content with the new FF 4.0 now. I like having larger screen real estate & the ability to customise where I put my add-on buttons is wonderful.

Counter Insurgent,

Deficit Terrorist Unit

#10 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:01 PM

Well if you are not interested in downloading songs or graphics..just to surf the net well this price cannot be beaten. I used to upload my songs on websites on dial up. I have 500 songs which I performed and recorded and there are websites where these songs can be uploaded and heard by people around the world. They are mostly old time 50's and 60's songs whose files are a few megabytes.....takes me on dial up to upload 10 minutes which is not bad.

#11 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:35 AM

Six months later they are already releasing Firefox 7.

#12 User is offline   Senexx 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:13 PM

Yes but they're not doing giant overhauls and adding new features, just fixing problems in previous releases I think

I did read once somewhere about the change in cycles but I really don't care. The constant versioning makes it difficult for add-ons to stay effective though

Counter Insurgent,

Deficit Terrorist Unit

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply