The Daily Wire: News of the World Hacking Scandal - The Daily Wire

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »

News of the World Hacking Scandal Rupert Murdoch's troubles have only just begun...

#41 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

View Postscotto, on 28 July 2011 - 10:42 AM, said:

True that.

So I'm sure we can all agree as to the virtues of a free press.

Great! That'll put those Green fools in their place in respect to the matter of journalistic freedom.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#42 User is offline   GeorgeParsons 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

The Greens-I am not one!- make no threats to journalistic freedom. They are ,however, rightly worried about hacking and dishonest practice.Freedom is not the licence to break the law and to pretend it is in the national interest.

#43 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:38 PM

View PostGeorgeParsons, on 29 July 2011 - 04:19 PM, said:

The Greens-I am not one!- make no threats to journalistic freedom. They are ,however, rightly worried about hacking and dishonest practice.Freedom is not the licence to break the law and to pretend it is in the national interest.

Not one lone voice has suggested that the UK phone hacking is acceptable. Nor has anyone put their hands alleging such misdeeds in Australia. Milne is seizing the opportunity for an unwarranted free kick here in Australia.

Milne said:

]We’ll also have a look at a range of other issues including who are fit and proper people into into whether we need that test into people to be running media outlets…

So who would you suppose she'd say were "fit and proper"? Bob's "hate media"?

Even from the ALP, we have one retired member saying in response that "there is a thin line between media independence and arrogance but without independence there is no accountability; it is the difference between dictatorship and democracy".

#44 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:25 PM

View Posticey, on 29 July 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

Not one lone voice has suggested that the UK phone hacking is acceptable. Nor has anyone put their hands alleging such misdeeds in Australia. Milne is seizing the opportunity for an unwarranted free kick here in Australia.

Is your indignation in defence of the Murdock press or the media in general?

If by "such misdeeds" you mean phone hacking, then yes, there is no evidence of this occurring systemically in Australia that is in the public domain. But if by "such misdeeds" you mean criminal behaviour in general, then there may be sufficient evidence to warrant an investigation. Trespass, invasion of privacy, social engineering and other such methods are often employed by the media to obtain information for a story and it is not unusual for the law to be breached in so doing.

This does not just apply to the Murdoch media. All media organisations overstep the bounds of decent behaviour and the law in pursuit of a story at one time or another, some more than others.

#45 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:41 PM

View PostBam, on 30 July 2011 - 01:25 PM, said:

Is your indignation in defence of the Murdock press or the media in general?

The Murdoch press in the sense that they are the one's being targeted by the Green's, however I'd defend the right to publish on either side. And the misdeeds I referred to were News of the World ones.

Not sure what you meant by "social engineering" for a story. Did you mean social networking as in Facebook?

This does not just apply to the Murdoch media. All media organisations overstep the bounds of decent behaviour and the law in pursuit of a story at one time or another, some more than others.

Stop being so easy to agree with Bam, it's just not seemly. :blink:

#46 User is offline   AlexSchlotzer 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:47 PM

When you study management and organisational behaviour you learn that bad management practices aren't limited to one or two rogue employees or executives but is something more deeply rooted throughout the organisation. There's no problem with reviewing media ownership and concentration of such ownership. Too many outlets owned by too few media organisations is surely just as concerning when it comes to freedom of the press as dreamt-up suggestions of greater regulation of the media.

And how is freedom of the press limited to investigate whether or not phone hacking has been used by media outlets in Australia? To me it just makes sense to have look to see if such a toxic behaviour has been used here in Australia. This isn't about limiting journalism but looking at the practices of management in encouraging illegal activity.

You know the illegal bit of illegally hacking somone's phone and illegally breaching someone's privacy and illegally accessing someone's information without their consent or knowledge. Throwing defenses about how such enquiries is about limiting freedom of the press is downright nonsense.

----
Alex Schlotzer
Visit my Blog about politics, online activism and social media.

#47 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:19 AM

View Posticey, on 30 July 2011 - 02:41 PM, said:

Not sure what you meant by "social engineering" for a story. Did you mean social networking as in Facebook?

Social engineering is where you pretend to be someone you are not in order to gain unauthorised access to something by deceiving someone. It's like hacking into a computer, except you are hacking people, not computers.

Some examples:
* Ring up a bank and pretend to be an accountant for some big company, seeking confirmation of a bank balance for a particular customer. You supply date of birth and mother's maiden name as verification.
* Dress up in a safety vest, hard hat and bring a tool box. Turn up to some site and pretend you have been called out on a job to fix something or other.
* Send out an email pretending to be from a bank, claiming that the system has been damaged and that you need to provide account number and password for verification.

It is a well-known technique in computer hacking circles - you would be surprised how often people can be tricked into giving up sensitive information in this way.

#48 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

View PostAlexSchlotzer, on 30 July 2011 - 07:47 PM, said:

When you study management and organisational behaviour you learn that bad management practices aren't limited to one or two rogue employees or executives but is something more deeply rooted throughout the organisation.

My experience across the board is that bad behaviour in organisations is always a top-down issue - bad management leading an organisation the wrong way.

Thought I'd add this - regarding a review of The Aus by an Aus journo - The Aus review.

#49 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:49 AM

View Posticey, on 29 July 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

Sure... but there is More than one kind of dictatorship, it seems.

#50 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:30 AM

View PostBam, on 31 July 2011 - 11:19 AM, said:

Social engineering is where you pretend to be someone you are not in order to gain unauthorised access to something by deceiving someone. It's like hacking into a computer, except you are hacking people, not computers.

Some examples:
* Ring up a bank and pretend to be an accountant for some big company, seeking confirmation of a bank balance for a particular customer. You supply date of birth and mother's maiden name as verification.
* Dress up in a safety vest, hard hat and bring a tool box. Turn up to some site and pretend you have been called out on a job to fix something or other.
* Send out an email pretending to be from a bank, claiming that the system has been damaged and that you need to provide account number and password for verification.

It is a well-known technique in computer hacking circles - you would be surprised how often people can be tricked into giving up sensitive information in this way.

Your "social engineering" is what I'd call private detective work, probably mostly considered acceptable some years back, but now increasingly on the wrong side of the law.

Thanks for the clarification.

#51 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:38 AM

View Postscotto, on 31 July 2011 - 06:12 PM, said:

Thought I'd add this - regarding a review of The Aus by an Aus journo - The Aus review.

View Postscotto, on 04 August 2011 - 08:49 AM, said:

Sure... but there is More than one kind of dictatorship, it seems.

Why is it that I keep finding you expressing love for your ABC? With the ABC double up on your last consecutive posts, I'm beginning to wonder if you work for them.

If indeed the trust of newspaper readers is eroding, buy a different paper. But in any case, be discerning whichever one you read (or in your case scotto, whichever ABC media stream you follow). I faithfully promise to do the same. (Confession: I watch "The Drum", but do keep my wits about me).

#52 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

View Posticey, on 04 August 2011 - 09:38 AM, said:

Why is it that I keep finding you expressing love for your ABC? With the ABC double up on your last consecutive posts, I'm beginning to wonder if you work for them.

If indeed the trust of newspaper readers is eroding, buy a different paper. But in any case, be discerning whichever one you read (or in your case scotto, whichever ABC media stream you follow). I faithfully promise to do the same. (Confession: I watch "The Drum", but do keep my wits about me).

Love? not really. Accessible to me at work, yes, and with a wider range of contributions than most others. Leave the ABC thing alone, Isee, I'm not about to stop reading it. I watch Insiders, most weekends, but don't find it uniformly edifying, I must confess.

#53 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 04 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

View Postscotto, on 04 August 2011 - 11:32 AM, said:

Leave the ABC thing alone, Isee, I'm not about to stop reading it. I watch Insiders, most weekends, but don't find it uniformly edifying, I must confess.

Awwh! They're OK in their own special biased way, and in fact, I'd watch more ABC than any other channel. Despite stacking, Insiders and Q&A (to name two) remain generally interesting to watch with the previously mentioned discerning eye.

Interesting to hear of your workplace with media access seemingly restricted to ABC. I wonder what ABC staffers can access.

#54 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 04 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

View Posticey, on 04 August 2011 - 11:54 AM, said:

Awwh! They're OK in their own special biased way, and in fact, I'd watch more ABC than any other channel. Despite stacking, Insiders and Q&A (to name two) remain generally interesting to watch with the previously mentioned discerning eye.

Interesting to hear of your workplace with media access seemingly restricted to ABC. I wonder what ABC staffers can access.

no.... I can look at most, if not all media sites although a small number of blogs are not available.

#55 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:13 PM

Here's one on the "hate media" you may have to leave till home.

On Left Wing Hate Speech

It is time for the left-wing hate media to be held to account. These people are like bullies. When they cannot win the arguments on their merits, they threaten violence. These people are the schoolyard bullies of debate. When they cannot win the debate they threaten violence. That is something that AGW opponents never do. It is time for the left-wing hate media to be held to account. I look forward to Senator Bob Brown's call for such organs as the Sydney Morning Herald, the Age and the ABC to be held to account for the views that their commentators espouse. It is time to return to rationality and civility in this debate.

#56 User is offline   Big Mal 

• Pip
  • LocationAdelaide

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

View Postscotto, on 19 July 2011 - 08:35 AM, said:

You're right - we've missed it. I have to make a comment about something that nowhere else has been examined: what exactly is the nature of the relationship between Murdock and Brooks? Have you seen footage of them greeting each other and walking together? Pictures of Rupert looking at Rebecca?

I think there's a very rich back story in the relationships of some of these people to each other - the loyalties and what ties them together.

If those two are not bedfellows I'm a political junkie . . Hang on I am a political junkie

#57 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:00 AM

View PostBig Mal, on 04 August 2011 - 04:49 PM, said:

If those two are not bedfellows I'm a political junkie . . Hang on I am a political junkie

uh huh...

#58 User is offline   HDMC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNQ

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

Those of you who support a closer look at the media may be interested in signing the Newsstand petition.

http://www.newsstand...mand-an-inquiry

#59 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 13 September 2011 - 08:36 AM

We believe Australia needs a full Parliamentary inquiry to publicly scrutinise the media landscape as a whole: what’s working, what’s not and what we can do to change things for the better.

What a crock!

Scrutinise the media yourselves and then vote with your feet. My understanding is that the Melbourne Age has mediocre circulation because people have done just that, and the $49 deal I got for a years supply of the SMH indicates similar desperation in the sister newspaper's Sydney office.

#60 User is offline   HDMC 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNQ

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:08 AM

View Posticey, on 13 September 2011 - 08:36 AM, said:

What a crock!

Scrutinise the media yourselves and then vote with your feet. My understanding is that the Melbourne Age has mediocre circulation because people have done just that, and the $49 deal I got for a years supply of the SMH indicates similar desperation in the sister newspaper's Sydney office.

It's not a crock, and many have voted with their feet. That's why the Oz runs at a loss.

When all those biased headlines are in the wire cages outside every newsagent, it influences even the politically disengaged.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply