#21 User is offline   Senexx 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

View PostEb2, on 02 October 2011 - 08:02 AM, said:

Sorry boys I disagree.
This reminds me of Howard and the "WorkChoices" situation all over again.
Howard & Co " this "WorkChoices" is good for all we just aren't selling it well enough". Polling ignored by libs, major election loss. Head in sand.
Gillard & Co " this carbon tax is good for all we just aren't selling it well enough". Polling ignored by Lab, major election loss coming unless they wake up. Head in sand.
Cant put it any simpler than that.

I thought this had merit until I gave it a little thought

WorkChoices took money off the low-income people and put it into profits
CarbonPrice takes money off corporate profits and gives it to low income people

The compensation that comes with the carbon price has a broader base than the compensation that went with WorkChoices.

As Amber obliquely points out elections are typically won 52-48 on 2PP terms and that's nearly all of them. So in economist speak Abbott is in a bit of a bubble at the moment, the real question is how big will his bust be? (now that just sounds wrong).

Will it just collapse to an election winning lead of 51 or 52 or will the bust be bigger. Based on his rhetoric of the moment with next to no substantial policy substance reminds me of the subprime mortgage fraud crisis and we're still suffering through that bust. That is an indication that Abbott's polling support will bust big unless he puts some substantial policy support piers under this bridge over troubled waters.

Typically we know this will be done just shy of an election but will that be enough support to give Abbott a real leg up.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

Support the Independents, Democracy always needs and requires a balance of power.

Counter Insurgent,

Deficit Terrorist Unit

#22 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 October 2011 - 08:07 PM

View Posticey, on 03 October 2011 - 11:35 AM, said:

"Off-the-cuff remark", ROFL!

Posted Image:emot-downsbravo:

What? She was running late for a meeting and she inadvertently broadcast a thought bubble. Wait, no! She was in a studio before the TV camera. Just like Swannie.

You're probably thinking of Abbott, who was in a studio before a TV camera when he admitted that anything he says that is not scripted cannot be trusted.

As for the "blinkers on" image: the pot is calling the kettle black. Do you wilfully ignore the lies of Liberal party leaders like O'Farrell and Baillieu (broken promises) or Abbott (he's lying whenever he is talking without a script by his own admission).

On a moderation note, icey, as a matter of courtesy please do not use images from other web sites by linking to them here. Every time you do so, you are stealing their bandwidth and costing them money. To combat this, some sites will block images from third-party websites or replace the images with advertising or offensive images. Instead, use a free provider like imageshack and link to the image there.

#23 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

View PostBam, on 03 October 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

You're probably thinking of Abbott, who was in a studio before a TV camera when he admitted that anything he says that is not scripted cannot be trusted.

As for the "blinkers on" image: the pot is calling the kettle black. Do you wilfully ignore the lies of Liberal party leaders like O'Farrell and Baillieu (broken promises) or Abbott (he's lying whenever he is talking without a script by his own admission).

No, I was thinking of more "senior" politicians. Here's a slightly doctored (not by me) video in case you missed the pre-election message by being in the Mongolian desert for over a year.

Or a little less mischievously at this youtube link.

On Abbott's legendary comment, it wasn't his finest moment to be sure, but it surely paled in comparison to Gillard and Swan's "no carbon tax" pledge and talk of "hysteria" just days before the election. I'm not on top of NSW & Vic politics enough to comment on any "lies" as I've been able to relax knowing that these states are now in better hands.

#24 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

View Posticey, on 04 October 2011 - 08:33 AM, said:

On Abbott's legendary comment, it wasn't his finest moment to be sure, but it surely paled in comparison to Gillard and Swan's "no carbon tax" pledge and talk of "hysteria" just days before the election. I'm not on top of NSW & Vic politics enough to comment on any "lies" as I've been able to relax knowing that these states are now in better hands.

Do you mean his comment about CO2 being invisible and weightless and therefore unable to bemeasured? Puts him on the same level as that intellectual giant George W Bush.

#25 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

View Posticey, on 04 October 2011 - 08:33 AM, said:

I've been able to relax knowing that these states are now in better hands.

Are you in blinkers, icey, or just wilfully ignorant?

In Victoria, the Liberals are clearly worse: in 11 months they have already broken a litany of promises, have been implicated in improper political meddling within Victoria Police, have been implicated in a corruption scandal after pledging to do something about alleged corruption, probity has become an issue, a Victorian Liberal staffer was behind a bomb hoax in Federal Parliament and they have done little since they were elected. All that and more from these bumblers in just 11 months.

I do not know how NSW is faring, so I cannot comment there - perhaps one of our disgruntled posters from NSW can enlighten us.

#26 User is offline   Amber Dekstris 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

O'Farrell promised nothing. We have to wait four years before we can judge whether or not he exceeded his mandate ;)

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply