• 2 Pages +

Troy Buswell, WA Minister

#1 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:49 PM

Here's an interesting case from Western Australia.

A taxi driver from Perth has had his taxi licence revoked by the WA Department of Transport under the "fit and proper" person test despite being acquitted of raping a female passenger.

The WA Minister for Transport, Troy Buswell, says the move is entirely appropriate.

It is ironic that Troy Buswell would take this view. This is the same Troy Buswell who was allegedly involved in a bra-snapping incident with a female ALP staffer, and admitted to sniffing the chair of a female Liberal staffer and following her around on hands and knees pretending to be her husband.

If this "fit and proper" person test was applied to the Minister himself, would he pass it?
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#2 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

View PostBam, on 07 February 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

Here's an interesting case from Western Australia.

A taxi driver from Perth has had his taxi licence revoked by the WA Department of Transport under the "fit and proper" person test despite being acquitted of raping a female passenger.

The WA Minister for Transport, Troy Buswell, says the move is entirely appropriate.

Clearly the driver is legally innocent of rape.

"I have a very strong view based on the evidence that that driver gave in court he doesn't deserve to be a taxi driver and his cancellation of his licence by the Department of Transport is entirely appropriate."

But what's not stated is what is the nature of evidence that neither met the grade for conviction, nor met the grade for taxi driving. And in any case, the sniffer did not make the original decision.

Personally, I'd prefer my daughter was not in a taxi driven by a chair sniffer or a bra fiddler (don't know the bra fiddling details though). Neither by Craig Thomson if he ends up in the game.

View PostBam, on 07 February 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

If this "fit and proper" person test was applied to the Minister himself, would he pass it?

An easy enough shot, but what exactly is the "fit and proper person" test for WA cabbies?

#3 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

View Posticey, on 07 February 2012 - 03:09 PM, said:

Clearly the driver is legally innocent of rape.

But what's not stated is what is the nature of evidence that neither met the grade for conviction, nor met the grade for taxi driving.

Assuming the story is reporting the facts correctly, the cabbie was not doing the right thing by watching the rape (he should have called the police), but did not otherwise take part. It's difficult to prove a rape case against someone if no actual rape took place.

#4 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:57 PM

View PostBam, on 07 February 2012 - 05:16 PM, said:

Assuming the story is reporting the facts correctly, the cabbie was not doing the right thing by watching the rape (he should have called the police), but did not otherwise take part. It's difficult to prove a rape case against someone if no actual rape took place.

I thought I must have missed a second page. Blow me down I bypassed the very first highlighted paragraph.

A Perth taxi driver who watched as a female passenger was raped by his colleague says he has been treated unfairly and his reputation has been tarnished.

Slam misere! Poor diddums had his reputation tarnished. Cue the violin.

And in the light of what I should have read in the first place, the title of this thread is farcical.

#5 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:37 AM

View Posticey, on 07 February 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

Slam misere! Poor diddums had his reputation tarnished. Cue the violin.

I don't get the title either, but the cabbie's complaint is farcical - he watched someone get raped because "dozens of cabbies" accept sexual favours for payment. Uh-huh....

So.... he doesn't know the difference between a sexual favour and rape? That's a person who should have no contact with the public whatsoever!

#6 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:19 PM

View Postscotto, on 08 February 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

So.... he doesn't know the difference between a sexual favour and rape? That's a person who should have no contact with the public whatsoever!

Perhaps, however it is interesting how the Minister for Transport lacks an exemplary record for sexual misconduct himself. Granted, chair sniffing and pretending to be a staffer's husband while moaning with ecstasy isn't in the same league. Yet surely we should expect our political leaders to set a better example?

#7 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:12 PM

A Perth taxi driver who watched as a female passenger was raped by his colleague

View Posticey, on 07 February 2012 - 05:57 PM, said:

And in the light of what I should have read in the first place, the title of this thread is farcical.

View Postscotto, on 08 February 2012 - 07:37 AM, said:

I don't get the title either, but the cabbie's complaint is farcical ....

View PostBam, on 08 February 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Granted, chair sniffing and pretending to be a staffer's husband while moaning with ecstasy isn't in the same league.

Yes, well this is why your thread title, namely "the double standards of the WA Liberals" is little more than shameless spin, albeit moderated shameless spin!

#8 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

View PostBam, on 08 February 2012 - 08:19 PM, said:

Perhaps, however it is interesting how the Minister for Transport lacks an exemplary record for sexual misconduct himself. Granted, chair sniffing and pretending to be a staffer's husband while moaning with ecstasy isn't in the same league. Yet surely we should expect our political leaders to set a better example?

I don't know if the two things are connected. But if a group/party accepts behaviour like that, then I guess that's a comment about them.

#9 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:40 AM

View Postscotto, on 09 February 2012 - 08:34 AM, said:

I don't know if the two things are connected. But if a group/party accepts behaviour like that, then I guess that's a comment about them.

At the time, there was an outcry about Buswell's sexual misconduct including questions as to whether he should resign. He did resign as leader but stayed on as an MP.

View Posticey, on 08 February 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

Yes, well this is why your thread title, namely "the double standards of the WA Liberals" is little more than shameless spin, albeit moderated shameless spin!

I have as much right to post interesting articles for discussion as any other user.

Your assertions that the remarks are "moderated shameless spin" are false because I am allowing this discussion to take its natural course without influencing it in any way other than by what I post. (However, I do reserve the right to moderate the discussion in the event of a breach of the rules by any poster or to clean up someone's mangled BBcode.) "Posted by a moderator" is not the same thing as "moderated by a moderator". That distinction is very important. Learn it.

If you are going to keep up this line of argument, be aware that (1) making false allegations about other posters - whether moderator or not - is a quick way to a suspension or ban, and (2) making false complaints about moderation is also not looked upon favourably.

Perhaps you don't like the idea of Buswell's past being subjected to scrutiny in juxtaposition to his actions as Transport Minister. That is your right. However, making false remarks about "moderation" is not the way to refute an argument.

I also notice that despite your comments about monogamous relationships in another thread, you are quick to leap to the defence of Buswell, whose adultery with Carles has been the subject of inquiry in the context of whether he abused his parliamentary entitlements (he was cleared).

#10 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PostBam, on 10 February 2012 - 07:40 AM, said:

At the time, there was an outcry about Buswell's sexual misconduct including questions as to whether he should resign. He did resign as leader but stayed on as an MP.

Yes, I recall this.

I think the fact that the court laughed this cabbie's defence off is a good sign that it hasn't been influenced by whatever standards of behaviour pass as okay in politics.

#11 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

I said that the contents of your post was spin in the context of the post title. A legitimate comment which I stand by.

Do you moderate Dailywire? Yes.

"Posted by a moderator" is not the same thing as "moderated by a moderator". That distinction is very important. Learn it.

Do you therefore moderate your own post? Unless you answer "no", then the distinction is moot. Your better defence would be to argue (perhaps correctly) that your flagrant spin was not in violation of any rules.

I have as much right to post interesting articles for discussion as any other user.
Your assertions that the remarks are "moderated shameless spin" are false because I am allowing this discussion to take its natural course without influencing it in any way other than by what I post.

You are moderating the site even when you simply peruse the content without further action.

Your right to post was never in question. My use of the word "moderated" was not intended to mean that you were gagging the discssion, or influencing it in any way other than by posting comments, I merely sought to highlight your role as moderator in the context of what I maintain to be shameless spin. You are no doubt free to continue your role as a moderator whilst still posting controversial comments. Please allow me to respond to them.

If you are going to keep up this line of argument, be aware that (1) making false allegations about other posters - whether moderator or not - is a quick way to a suspension or ban, and (2) making false complaints about moderation is also not looked upon favourably.

You are getting touchy in your response here.

I allege shameless spin whilst you allege (or strongly imply) that Buswell is to be compared with the "turn a blind eye to rape" taxi-driver in respect to being fit and proper. This would be the crux of my position.

Perhaps you don't like the idea of Buswell's past being subjected to scrutiny in juxtaposition to his actions as Transport Minister. That is your right. However, making false remarks about "moderation" is not the way to refute an argument.

I also notice that despite your comments about monogamous relationships in another thread, you are quick to leap to the defence of Buswell, whose adultery with Carles has been the subject of inquiry in the context of whether he abused his parliamentary entitlements (he was cleared).

Gee! You have to be rather imaginative to perceive I am supporting Buswell. I don't. Nor do I support your spin maligning the party or indeed the sniffer by associating them with the actions of a disgraceful taxi driver.

Associate the party with the sniffing or the adultery if you please. It undoubtedly tarnishes the party as have Thomson and Slipper tarnished their respective brands.

#12 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

How about I feed you a decent bone to demonstrate the error of your thought processes which would have me defending all and sundry of the right?

Here's the bone in a new thread. Enjoy!

#13 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

View Posticey, on 10 February 2012 - 09:39 AM, said:

My use of the word "moderated" was not intended to mean that you were gagging the discssion, or influencing it in any way other than by posting comments.

See, that's the trouble right there. Your understanding of what "moderation" means is perhaps a little different to my understanding of the term. A moderated forum is not necessarily the same thing as a forum with moderators. To me, by saying that this thread was moderated, you implied that the posts in this thread required a moderator's approval before appearing, even though you did not intend this interpretation. As you can probably imagine, I found the implications to be somewhat offensive.

#14 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

http://www.6pr.com.a...0312-1utno.html

More on Troy Buswell.

#15 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:58 PM

Troy Buswell is in trouble again. WA Treasurer accused of lewd behaviour

#16 User is offline   GeorgeParsons 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

View PostBam, on 09 December 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Troy Buswell is in trouble again. WA Treasurer accused of lewd behaviour
He doesn't learn easily does he?

#17 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

More on this: Treasurer hits back at drinking problem claims

#18 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have renamed this topic so that the topic of discussion is clearer. The old topic title was "The double standards of the WA Liberals".

BAM

#19 User is offline   NotFrogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

http://www.perthnow....u-1226548213129

Troy, always there to lend a buddy a helping hand. Or get him a job at $400 an hour.

#20 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:21 AM

I was in WA over Christmas. Most people who mentioned him regard him as an utter embarrassement, but a fixture due to the low level of political culture in the state.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply