The Daily Wire: Forum Rules & Info - The Daily Wire

Page 1 of 1

Forum Rules & Info Read this now (or risk being banned)

#1 User is offline   JJ 

• Administrator
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:59 PM

This post contains both the forum rules, and basic information about using the new forum system.

Forum Rules:
1. While this is a place for debate & discussion, please treat others with respect. Getting personal will see you suspended. Continued violation of this rule will see you banned.

2. Racism or sexual discrimination (including against one's gender or sexuality) will be met with an immediate ban.

3. Do not flame others. Strawman arguments will be frowned on and likely result in a suspension.

4. The OP has the right to set the terms of a discussion, however that does not mean they get to play moderator. Please respect the OP's wishes in respect to the framework of discussion. This is a trial rule. If it does not work out well, we will remove it.

5. If you post an excerpt from an article, please also post a link to the source.

6. Please post your topic in an appropriate sub-forum.

Forum Help:
Q: How do I post a new thread?
A: Browse to the appropriate subforum and hit the "Add New Topic" button up the top right of the screen.
Attached Image: monthly_01_2011/post-1-0-42572000-1294855923.png

Q: How do I reply to a thread?
A: There are two ways to do this. Down the bottom of the thread you are browsing there is a fast reply box. There is also an "Add Reply" button, just above and to the right of the fast reply box. If you click Add Reply it will load the full post editor, which will allow you to upload image attachments.
Attached Image: monthly_01_2011/post-1-0-18207300-1294855835.png

Q: How do I view or edit my profile?
A: Up the top right of the page is a blue box (it's where you clicked Sign In). If you click the pulldown box that has your name in it, you can select "My Profile". Here you can edit your profile, post status updates, and so on. There is also a link to the Messenger in this menu so that you may send private messages to fellow members.
Attached Image: monthly_01_2011/post-1-0-78102100-1294855664.png

Q: How do I search the forum?
A: There is a search box on the far right hand side of the red menu bar. Click the little pulldown arrow next to the magnifying glass to select what you want to search (Forums = the entire forum, This topic = the current topic, and so on).
Attached Image: monthly_01_2011/post-1-0-85676300-1294856264.png

Q: What are these little icons at the bottom of each thread?
A: The row of small icons next to "Share this topic" represent different social networking sites that you can directly share the thread with, including Twitter and Facebook. There is also a Facebook like button above these that will post a single line to your profile status should you click on it. Feel free to utilise these social networking icons to recruit more political buffs :)

Q: What is the little green plus in the bottom right corner of each post?
A: This allows you to show your support or appreciation for the person who wrote the post. Every time someone clicks on the little plus (you only get one per post), it improves your reputation on the forum. This reputation is visible in your profile.
Attached Image: monthly_01_2011/post-1-0-39708700-1294858461.png
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

Please read the Forum Rules & Info thread if you haven't already.

#2 User is offline   JJ 

• Administrator
  • View blog
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

One thing I left out is the use of the MultiQuote button. This lets you quote many people in your reply. All you need to do is click MultiQuote on the posts you wish to quote then click Add Reply or Use Full Editor down the bottom.

Please read the Forum Rules & Info thread if you haven't already.

#3 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

View PostBam, on 03 October 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

On a moderation note, icey, as a matter of courtesy please do not use images from other web sites by linking to them here. Every time you do so, you are stealing their bandwidth and costing them money. To combat this, some sites will block images from third-party websites or replace the images with advertising or offensive images. Instead, use a free provider like imageshack and link to the image there.

To be honest, I've never really given that any thought, and it's not been pointed out to me before. Obviously it's quick and easy to link directly.

I don't think it's in your rule book, but would your position vary depending on the size of the image (blinkers was tiny), and the site of origin. For example, does anyone really care about "stealing" bandwidth from say News Limited or a government website?

#4 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

View Posticey, on 04 October 2011 - 08:34 AM, said:

For example, does anyone really care about "stealing" bandwidth from say News Limited or a government website?

The owners of the websites might object. News Limited are erecting a paywall around their news sites and anyone who is not paying to access the content will probably not see the images if they are linked by a paying customer. It is reasonable to suppose that News Limited might object to third-party links to images. The ABC may also object: their taxpayer funding is limited and they would also object to having their funds eaten up by third parties deep linking to images on an ABC website.

Small images such as the ones the icey used would not consume much bandwidth, but I have seen quite large images linked in this way and I felt it was time to speak up about the matter.

The earliest implementations of the world wide web were as an intranet for CERN where such considerations did not apply. It is sometimes useful to deep link to a third-party image, but when the web went commercial where bandwidth is actually paid for by consumers the flaw of this design became apparent. Sometimes excess bandwidth is very expensive; I have seen rates at 20 cents a megabyte. When some images can be several megabytes in size, each unauthorised deep link to that image can cost the victim a dollar or more. When such a victim gets a surprisingly large bandwidth bill, sooner or later they will block images linked from third-party websites (it is not difficult to do with Apache and IIS).

To avoid these difficulties, it is best not to deep link third-party images.

BAM

#5 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

To make subscripts, use the x2 button. (Especially useful for writing CO2 instead of CO2.)

To make superscripts, use the x2 button.

#6 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

View PostBam, on 13 November 2011 - 05:08 PM, said:

To make subscripts, use the x2 button. (Especially useful for writing CO2 instead of CO2.)

To make superscripts, use the x2 button.

That's funny Bam. A little bit of CO2 OCD ??? ??? ??? ???

#7 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:11 AM

Following on from discussion in the carbon tax thread .....

View PostBam, on 14 October 2011 - 09:48 AM, said:

I apologise to you, Trog and to icey for this confusion.

However, there is another more practical reason why people should not deep link image content. It's simply this - the content on other websites could be moved or deleted at any time, and when this happens the link no longer works. This happened to quite a few of the cartoons in the "Political cartoons" thread on the old ozforums site before it closed, and it will happen here too. Hosting bandwidth may be cheap, but hosting space is relatively expensive because it requires physical media. Old images and media are often the first things to go when the webmaster feels the need to free up space for new content. Thus, a linked image can disappear at any time.

Thanks Bam!

Disappearing images are indeed a regular blip on forums and sometimes diminish the value or meaning of posts. That said, it's not really a "biggy", least of all in the political cartoon section.

Could be an idea for the individual to decide how much effort one wants to put into increasing the chance of permanence when posting images. I say "chance" because naturally it depends on whoever runs the show. Where are those remarkably popular DLP threads from bygone years now?

#8 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

View Posticey, on 13 November 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

That's funny Bam. A little bit of CO2 OCD ??? ??? ??? ???

That's not fair... I don't have one of those buttons.

#9 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

View Postscotto, on 06 March 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

That's not fair... I don't have one of those buttons.

oohhhhh....... NOW I see what you mean!

#10 User is offline   NotFrogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Pointless.

Can a mod with a clue unban my blocked account.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply