Israel and Hamas

#21 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationPerth

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

View Postlongweekend58, on 19 April 2012 - 09:16 AM, said:

A) it is a BLOG therefore the credibility can be questioned and even if you accept that, the objectivity is clearly not there.

B) so even if you accept that 'both sides are at fault', how can you possible support a BDS which blatantly blames only one side? THAT is the core of the argument. any policy or process that ignores one side totally is inherently biased and racist. There is no alternative description.

A) Oh, but your link was completely unbiased, yeah? (No it wasnt)

B) If both sides are at fault, then you need to look at the situation as it is now. The situation as it is now, is that Israel is occupying lands that it does not own, is subjecting the Palestinian people to apartheid conditions, is actively committing war crimes every single day, is not living up to its responsibilities under a whole bunch of UN declarations, is in the process of stealing ever increasing swathes of land, and the valuable resources under them, and then turning around and blaming the people they are victimising.

But you want to sit here and complain that an economic only mean to redress the situation is racist and therefor bad.

Ok, so lets run with that shall we? Racism is bad. Explain to me why an Israeli child can go through their entire school system and not once see a picture or hear a story about a Palestinian doctor or lawyer or teacher. All they hear is about Palestinian terrorists or dirt farmers or malcontents. Explain to me why the Arab population is so under represented in the Knesset. Explain to me why corporations in Israel that employ 10s of thousands of people have Arab employees in the single digits. Explain to me how the sole Arab party in the Knesset is often suspended for no apparent reason. Explain to me why it is illegal for a Jew and an Arab to get married and live as citizens in Israel.

If you are so hung up on the inherent racism in the BDS campaign, why are you not so hung up on the inherent, and much more prevalent, racism that is inherent in every day life in Israel?
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#22 User is offline   longweekend58 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

View PostFrogman, on 19 April 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

A) Oh, but your link was completely unbiased, yeah? (No it wasnt)

B) If both sides are at fault, then you need to look at the situation as it is now. The situation as it is now, is that Israel is occupying lands that it does not own, is subjecting the Palestinian people to apartheid conditions, is actively committing war crimes every single day, is not living up to its responsibilities under a whole bunch of UN declarations, is in the process of stealing ever increasing swathes of land, and the valuable resources under them, and then turning around and blaming the people they are victimising.

But you want to sit here and complain that an economic only mean to redress the situation is racist and therefor bad.

Ok, so lets run with that shall we? Racism is bad. Explain to me why an Israeli child can go through their entire school system and not once see a picture or hear a story about a Palestinian doctor or lawyer or teacher. All they hear is about Palestinian terrorists or dirt farmers or malcontents. Explain to me why the Arab population is so under represented in the Knesset. Explain to me why corporations in Israel that employ 10s of thousands of people have Arab employees in the single digits. Explain to me how the sole Arab party in the Knesset is often suspended for no apparent reason. Explain to me why it is illegal for a Jew and an Arab to get married and live as citizens in Israel.

If you are so hung up on the inherent racism in the BDS campaign, why are you not so hung up on the inherent, and much more prevalent, racism that is inherent in every day life in Israel?

Half a dozen times the arabs have attacked israel pre-emptively and each time have lost badly and lost land. Almost every square inch of land onthe planet is 'owned' by virtue of having taken it from someone else and in the middle east there is not one grain of sand that hasnt been occupied by a hundred different nations over the millenia so refrain from the 'israel dont own it' argument. You are deflecting from the point of the debate which is the BDS and its totally one-sided nature.

And before you get all gooey on israeli media bias against palestinians keep in mind that Gaza TV gas CHILDRENS programs that promote suicide bombing. do once again, why dont you promote a policy that is even handed. the BDS is an abject failure whose only harm is inflicted onthe fools that promote it. I massacred the Greens in the NSW election. It ruined the careers of local govt who promoted it and is rejected at an almost universal level among the populace. Teh BDS is no threat to Israel or to australia. It is a joke and I am merely curious how anyone outside of teenage years can possibly support it.

Hamas bombs school buses, targets unarmed civilians and you dont even address it. you either ignore it or move right on past. There is a HUGE difference between targetting armed terrorists and bombing preteen school children on the way to school.

#23 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPerth

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:14 AM

View Postlongweekend58, on 19 April 2012 - 09:59 AM, said:

Half a dozen times the arabs have attacked israel pre-emptively and each time have lost badly and lost land. Almost every square inch of land onthe planet is 'owned' by virtue of having taken it from someone else and in the middle east there is not one grain of sand that hasnt been occupied by a hundred different nations over the millenia so refrain from the 'israel dont own it' argument. You are deflecting from the point of the debate which is the BDS and its totally one-sided nature.
No. You are wrong. Again.

I mean, Im just going by international law, but Israel is illegally occupying land, and committing war crimes against the Palestinians. Unless you want to show me something that says they arent? But you arent one for evidence and proof, are you?

Good on your for attempting to move the goalposts yet again though. Its such a nice attempt.

And before you get all gooey on israeli media bias against palestinians keep in mind that Gaza TV gas CHILDRENS programs that promote suicide bombing.
Citation needed. HAH. Im getting almost as used to writing that as I am say that you are wrong. Which you are. Again.

do once again, why dont you promote a policy that is even handed. the BDS is an abject failure whose only harm is inflicted onthe fools that promote it. I massacred the Greens in the NSW election. It ruined the careers of local govt who promoted it and is rejected at an almost universal level among the populace. Teh BDS is no threat to Israel or to australia. It is a joke and I am merely curious how anyone outside of teenage years can possibly support it.
There is nothing in the entire situation that is even handed. Why are you putting the burden on the Palestinians? Israel holds all the power in this situation, yet you are victim blaming the shit out of it.

Hamas bombs school buses, targets unarmed civilians and you dont even address it. you either ignore it or move right on past. There is a HUGE difference between targetting armed terrorists and bombing preteen school children on the way to school.

The IDF commits war crimes against humanity, bombs civilians, uses white phosphorus devices against international law, uses children as human shields, intentionally starves the entire population, including civilians, breaks international laws regarding blockades and allowing materials through.

There is a huge difference between fighting against the people who are in the middle of oppressing your family, and launching air strikes against civilian population centers.

edit : and just for fun, the follow is a graph of the casualties in this conflict, as sourced from B'Tsalem

Posted Image

Do you want to guess who is the red and who is the blue?

#24 User is offline   longweekend58 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:56 AM

View PostFrogman, on 19 April 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

No. You are wrong. Again.

I mean, Im just going by international law, but Israel is illegally occupying land, and committing war crimes against the Palestinians. Unless you want to show me something that says they arent? But you arent one for evidence and proof, are you?

Good on your for attempting to move the goalposts yet again though. Its such a nice attempt.

Citation needed. HAH. Im getting almost as used to writing that as I am say that you are wrong. Which you are. Again.

There is nothing in the entire situation that is even handed. Why are you putting the burden on the Palestinians? Israel holds all the power in this situation, yet you are victim blaming the shit out of it.

The IDF commits war crimes against humanity, bombs civilians, uses white phosphorus devices against international law, uses children as human shields, intentionally starves the entire population, including civilians, breaks international laws regarding blockades and allowing materials through.

There is a huge difference between fighting against the people who are in the middle of oppressing your family, and launching air strikes against civilian population centers.

edit : and just for fun, the follow is a graph of the casualties in this conflict, as sourced from B'Tsalem

Posted Image

Do you want to guess who is the red and who is the blue?

you seem very happy to demand 'citations' from everyone. It probably hasnt occured to you yet that there are a lot of aspects of life history and education that DONT need to have citations because everyone already knows about it. The sky is blue, I dont need to have a citation for it. The Gaza pro-suicide-bombing childrens programs were all over the media a couple of years ago. The fact that YOU dont know about it merely underlines how little you know of the conflict. You dont even know that iran and jordan have been supplying weapons to Hamas so that the fools can be cannon fodder in a proxy war. You talk about human shields and utterly ignore the FACT that Hamas uses them all the time and Israel does not.

you are yet to unequicoably condemn Hamas' attacks on civilians. Your credibility in this discussion is very low. Perhaps if every day people fired missiles are your house -rather than the army - then you too might feel a little less than friendly towards them.

#25 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPerth

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:10 PM

View Postlongweekend58, on 19 April 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

you seem very happy to demand 'citations' from everyone. It probably hasnt occured to you yet that there are a lot of aspects of life history and education that DONT need to have citations because everyone already knows about it. The sky is blue, I dont need to have a citation for it. The Gaza pro-suicide-bombing childrens programs were all over the media a couple of years ago. The fact that YOU dont know about it merely underlines how little you know of the conflict. You dont even know that iran and jordan have been supplying weapons to Hamas so that the fools can be cannon fodder in a proxy war. You talk about human shields and utterly ignore the FACT that Hamas uses them all the time and Israel does not.

you are yet to unequicoably condemn Hamas' attacks on civilians. Your credibility in this discussion is very low. Perhaps if every day people fired missiles are your house -rather than the army - then you too might feel a little less than friendly towards them.

No. You are wrong. Again. Dont you get sick of me saying this to you? Maybe you should stop being so wrong? Food for thought.
There is just so many things wrong with this post Im not entirely sure where to start. Lets do a list. I like lists (do you remember when I said that before?)

1) Popular opinion is, as a general rule, not a good metric to measure things by. Remember when popular opinion said that the earth was flat? You were around then, werent you? "Because everyone knows it" is similarly bad. Everyone knew that Africans had smaller brains and there for were less intellectually capable, until it was found out that they werent.

Posted Image Can you please point out exactly where the sky is in that picture, and where the blue sky is in that picture.

Im not trying to argue that the sky is not blue. Anyone who looks outside between the hours of sunrise and sunset, as long as there is minimal cloud cover can see that. What this does demonstrate is that things that everyone knows to be true can be shown to be false, fairly easily. Which is why hard data, or credible sources, or informative citations are needed. They help demonstrate truth vs fiction.

2) The media, especially in Australia, is horrible. Relying on them for any sort of unbiased reporting is an exercise in futility. Have you not heard about the whole debacle surrounding News limited recently? And you still want to use them as a credible source? No.

3) I do know a fair bit about this conflict. I dont know everything, and I doubt anyone does. What is apparent is that you have exactly zero interest in revisiting your position. I know it may not seem like it, but im a fairly open minded guy. I can be convinced of all manner of things, given enough evidence. You are lacking in that department. Also, if its such a bad thing that Iran and Jordan give arms to Hamas, why is it ok for the US to give tanks and fighter jets to Israel?

4) Once again, you are stating things as a fact, with nothing to back it up. In all my readings, the only human shields that I have heard about Hamas using have been volunteers. In all my readings, the only group forcing people to be human shields has been the IDF.

http://www.hrw.org/r...rael0502-06.htm
http://www.btselem.o...s_in_beit_hanun

And whats more, not only do they use human shields, the Israeli supreme court overruled the IDF and said "NO. BAD. STOP IT", so what did the IDF do? They wanted to overturn the ban. http://news.bbc.co.u...ast/4333982.stm

Once again, feel free to prove me wrong. Key word : prove

#26 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

View PostFrogman, on 19 April 2012 - 09:46 AM, said:

Multiple "citations needed". Could keep you off the streets for a while.

#27 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPerth

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

View Posticey, on 19 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Multiple "citations needed". Could keep you off the streets for a while.

I almost felt a little bit bad about taking this long to get back to you on this one. Unfortunately, real life called.

Anyways, on with the cites.

http://www.haaretz.c...-arabs-1.264564

Nearly half of Israel's high school students do not believe that Israeli-Arabs are entitled to the same rights as Jews in Israel, according to the results of a new survey released yesterday. The same poll revealed that more than half the students would deny Arabs the right to be elected to the Knesset.

http://www.guardian....ol-racism-claim

Nurit Peled-Elhanan, an Israeli academic, mother and political radical, summons up an image of rows of Jewish schoolchildren, bent over their books, learning about their neighbours, the Palestinians. But, she says, they are never referred to as Palestinians unless the context is terrorism.

They are called Arabs. "The Arab with a camel, in an Ali Baba dress. They describe them as vile and deviant and criminal, people who don't pay taxes, people who live off the state, people who don't want to develop," she says. "The only representation is as refugees, primitive farmers and terrorists. You never see a Palestinian child or doctor or teacher or engineer or modern farmer."

A cursory look at wikipedia teels me that there are currently 14 Arab members of the 120 person Knesset, so thats 12% of the parliment representing about 20% of the people.
http://en.wikipedia...._of_the_Knesset
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knesset

I was wrong about there only being 1 Arab party. There are more now, not that it matters sometimes, because they just get suspended. http://forward.com/a...-arab-parties-/

http://www.jpost.com....aspx?id=174719
6% of the civil service is Arab.

http://www.jewishenc...7-intermarriage <-- Thats why Arabs and Israelis cant get married. It gets better though. There were actually gangs of jewish guys roaming the streets, looking for any arab dating jewish woman, to go with the government authorised team of youth counsellors and psychologists whose job it was to identify young Jewish women who are dating Arab men and "rescue" them. http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld http://www.thenation....aspx?id=155387

And I know I didnt bring this up before, but apparently the Knesset in 2010 was the most racist in history. http://www.haaretz.c...istory-1.266564

Now that that is out of the way, I would like all the citations that I have asked for to be filled, or I would also accept a sincere post saying that you are going to go away and seriously read up on both sides of the story, with an open mind and that you will get back to me.

#28 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

I have moved these posts from an unrelated topic into this new thread. Enjoy your discussion.

BAM

#29 User is offline   southern man 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

Frogman - We are really tired of you being so wrong, so frequently.
It is becoming a habit and you have earnt a yellow card.
If you continue to be wrong you will earn a Red Card and could be earn a suspension.
I should warn you that part of the suspension is that you will have to live with Bob Brown for 2 weeks while his mate goes on holidays tramping in North West Tasmania and every morning you have to talk to Sarah Hanson Young over a jug of Prune Juice for 2 hours.
This should cure you of being so wrong so frequently.

#30 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPerth

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:09 AM

Point out what I was wrong about, and I might pay some attention to you. Plus you aren't a mod, so yeah

#31 User is offline   scotto 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • LocationNewcastle, NSW

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

View Postsouthern man, on 20 April 2012 - 09:56 PM, said:

Frogman - We are really tired of you being so wrong, so frequently.
It is becoming a habit and you have earnt a yellow card.
If you continue to be wrong you will earn a Red Card and could be earn a suspension.
I should warn you that part of the suspension is that you will have to live with Bob Brown for 2 weeks while his mate goes on holidays tramping in North West Tasmania and every morning you have to talk to Sarah Hanson Young over a jug of Prune Juice for 2 hours.
This should cure you of being so wrong so frequently.

That's really your answer?

#32 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPerth

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:57 PM

I had to double check that this wasnt an onion piece.

http://www.google.co...e6171ca03f9.3e1

JERUSALEM — Israel's interior minister said on Friday he hoped to soon start moving tens of thousands of illegal African migrants from Tel Aviv and elsewhere to a detention camp being built and a planned "tent city."

"They are close to being expelled either willingly or against their will," he said. "This is a number that threatens the Jewish identity."

The rising number of Africans in Israel has hit the headlines in recent weeks, after a spike in racial tensions led to a riot in southern Tel Aviv, where tens of thousands of migrants live.

Just in case you thought it was those pesky immigrants doing the rabblerousing

http://www.guardian....nce-immigration

I really cant describe the thoughts going through my head. Jews are attempting to preserve their racial purity by putting a group of people in detention camps. Where do you even begin? How many parallels can you draw to other situations in history, and how did that turn out? Should beer halls be outlawed in Israel?

edit : some more tidbits while im in the mood.
http://www.haaretz.c...ildren-1.230304

http://mondoweiss.ne...ben-gurion.html <-- I like* the bit where the young lady is forced to log into her private email where her emails are read and contacts copied, then they are denied access to Israel, and then they are strip searched. All because they are half arab and half american.

http://www.haaretz.c...-years-1.434127

Even though I know im not going to get a response from the usual suspects, I would like to ask for one anyway. I would really love to see or hear a reasonable explanation for all this.

*hate

#33 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPerth

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

http://www.guardian....ldren-injustice

A belief that every Palestinian child is a potential terrorist may be leading to a "spiral of injustice" and breaches of international law in Israel's treatment of child detainees in military custody, a delegation of eminent British lawyers has concluded in an independent report backed by the Foreign Office.

The nine-strong delegation, led by the former high court judge Sir Stephen Sedley and including the UK's former attorney-general Lady Scotland, found that "undisputed facts" pointed to at least six violations of the UN convention on the rights of the child, to which Israel is a signatory. It was also in breach of the fourth Geneva convention in transferring child detainees from the West Bank to Israeli prisons, the delegation said.

The report compares the military justice system in the West Bank to the Israeli civilian legal system, finding key differences in the treatment of children. The most egregious are the length of time child detainees can be held a) before being brought before a judge (up to 24 hours for Israeli children compared with eight days for Palestinian children); b) without access to a lawyer (48 hours compared with 90 days); and c) without charge (40 days compared with 188 days). The minimum age for custodial sentences is 14 for Israeli children, but 12 for Palestinian children.

Among the report's recommendations are:

• An end to night-time arrests, except in extreme and unusual circumstances.

• Children should be told of their rights in their own language.

• Children should never be blindfolded or hooded.

• Single plastic hand ties should never be used.

• The prohibition on violent, threatening or coercive conduct towards children should be strictly observed.

• Children should not be shackled at any time.

• Any confession in a language other than the child's own should not be accepted as evidence.

• Solitary confinement should never be used "as a standard mode of detention or imprisonment".

• All Palestinian children should be held in facilities in the occupied territories, and not transferred to Israel, a breach of article 76 of the fourth Geneva convention.

In conclusion, the report says: "It may be that much of the reluctance to treat Palestinian children in conformity with international norms stems from a belief, which was advanced to us by a military prosecutor, that every Palestinian child is a 'potential terrorist'. Such a stance seems to us to be the starting point of a spiral of injustice."

Still nothing from the peanut gallery? Anyone want to point out where im wrong?

Nothing?

Bueller?

Bueller?

Awww, cmon guys, surely you can justify arresting 12 and 13 year old children, telling them their rights in a language they dont speak, throwing them in solitary confinement, and not giving them a lawyer immediately.

#34 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPerth

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

http://www.haaretz.c....225%2C2.227%2C

Water torture
IDF confiscates water containers from Palestinians and Bedouins in Jordan Valley.
Avi confiscates water containers that serve hundreds of Palestinian and Bedouin families living in the Jordan Valley.

The containers are these people's only water source. In recent weeks, Avi has confiscated about a dozen containers, leaving dozens of families with children in the horrific Jordan Valley heat, to go thirsty.

The forms he takes pains to complete, in spiffy style, say: "There is reason to suspect they used the above merchandise for carrying out an offense." Avi's bosses claim the "offense" is stealing water from a pipe. This is why the containers are seized - with no inquiry, no trial. Welcome to the land of lawlessness and evil. Welcome to the land of apartheid. Israel does not permit thousands of these wretched people to hook up to the water pipes. This water is for Jews only. Even the greatest Israeli propagandists could not deny the nationalist, diabolical separation taking place here.

The stealing of water, whether it did or didn't take place, is of course only the excuse. Even if there was such a thing - what choice do these people have? The authorities won't allow them to connect to the water pipe running through their fields; pipes whose water is flowing to saturate the settlers' green vineyards and fields.

Last week I saw the people whose water container Avi had confiscated, leaving them thirsty. Newborn babies, a handicapped little girl, a small boy post-surgery, women and old folks, and, of course, the sheep - the only source of income here. Denizens with no water - in Israel, not in Africa. Water for one nation only - in Israel, not in South Africa.

But this is not the only watershed. A few days ago, the Israel Defense Forces decided to hold training exercises in the area. What did it do? Evicted the residents from their homes for 24 hours. Not all of them - only the Palestinians and Bedouin. It occurred to nobody to evict the residents of Maskiot, Beka'ot or Ro'i. The authorities don't call that apartheid, either.

I tried to keep it under 10%, I really did. Still, with the deafening silence coming from the other side of the debate, I dont think anyone else is going to notice.

#35 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPerth

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

http://harpers.org/a...2011/12/0083722

Interesting article on how Israel is stealing water from the Jordan river.

and a simply delicious quote from the state department of the US

MS. NULAND: Matt, as you have made clear again and again in this room, we are not always consistent.

http://mondoweiss.ne...-neighbors.html

#36 User is offline   NotFrogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2012 - 10:27 AM

http://newmatilda.co...els-harsh-logic

#37 User is offline   Jimmah 

• PipPip
  • LocationSydney

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

Some one wplease correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Israeli's just sort of move in after WWll? Wasn't the Palestians land taken from them? It's a question not a statement.

Thanks

#38 User is offline   Jimmah 

• PipPip
  • LocationSydney

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:24 PM

double post* again WTF?

#39 User is offline   NotFrogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Its a little more complex than that, but essentially, yes.

#40 User is offline   Jimmah 

• PipPip
  • LocationSydney

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

View PostNotFrogman, on 01 November 2012 - 02:27 PM, said:

Its a little more complex than that, but essentially, yes.

Thanks figured it was more complex but yeah.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply