Page 1 of 1

Low-fat milk is fattening Food for thought

#1 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 July 2012 - 09:02 AM

Here is something interesting that should make you think twice if you buy low-fat milk in the belief that it will help you lose weight. Paradoxically, it is actually more fattening.

Farmers use skim milk to fatten pigs.

[Farmer Stacie Gordon] uses skim milk ... to fatten her meat pigs. Curious, I ask, "Why do you give them skim milk? Why not full fat milk to fatten pigs?" To which she replies, "Fat satisfies their appetites. If I give them milk fat my meat pigs won't eat!"

From the Farmer’s Cyclopedia of Livestock, published in 1912:

Skim milk is one of the most valuable adjuncts of the farm for fattening swine. Used with corn, kafir corn or any of the common grain by-products, an almost ideal ration is formed. Hogs like it, and relish rations mixed with it. As a result of five year’s work in feeding skim milk at the New York station at Cornell, it is concluded that the most economical returns are secured when the milk is fed with corn meal.

Another thing to consider is that skimmed milk tastes as if it has been watered down, so to improve the flavour many low-fat milks have additives like non-fat milk powder. Some low-fat milk products may have as few as 30 kJ less than full-fat milk. To lose a single kilogram with this kind of low-fat milk, one has to drink 100 litres of it instead of full-fat milk. Yet the lack of satisfaction due to the lack of fat may cause the body to want more of it, so one may actually end up consuming more kilojoules.

This is accentuated by the false perception that "low-fat" means "not fattening", so instead of drinking full-fat milk with restraint, one may tend not to restrain the drinking of low-fat milk. If low-fat milk with additives has 230 kJ and full-fat milk has 260 kJ, and one drinks 100 litres of milk, it only takes the consumption of an additional 13 litres of milk to nullify the lower kilojoule count of low-fat milk (113 litres at 230 kJ is roughly equal to 100 litres at 260 kJ). If 100 litres of milk is what one may consume in a year, this extra quantity is one additional litre every four weeks.

Three glasses of most brands of low-fat milk are more fattening than two glasses of full-fat milk and one glass of water. Do not be misled into thinking otherwise.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

This post has been edited by Bam: 28 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

#2 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 28 July 2012 - 10:46 AM

We use full fat milk and always have and none of the family have ever been fat, but that may also have a lot to do with lifestyle and the genes.
None of the ancestors that I have accounts of were fat either, except some of the rich ones; most would have been too busy growing or hunting food to get fat.

There was an interesting programme on the ABC last Friday, that pointed out the amount of fat that one consumes when eating most supermarket chooks as compared to those that are reared naturally.

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

#3 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:05 PM

View PostRoderick, on 28 July 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

There was an interesting programme on the ABC last Friday, that pointed out the amount of fat that one consumes when eating most supermarket chooks as compared to those that are reared naturally.

Do you have more details? This might be worth a look.

#4 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostRoderick, on 28 July 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

We use full fat milk and always have and none of the family have ever been fat, but that may also have a lot to do with lifestyle and the genes.

This is suggestive that avoiding reduced-fat versions of foods does no harm. I think all the reduced fat, lite and so on products are nothing more than scams to trick the unwary. When you've got sweets that are 80% sugar pretending to be healthy by claiming to be "99% fat free", we've got real problems.

Someone who is trying to reduce shouldn't be buying low-fat versions of anything. All it does is keep the victim acclimatised to eating these rich foods. Instead, one should be sparing with richer foods like cheese and change the diet to eat different foods that are mostly plant-based.

#5 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostBam, on 28 July 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Another thing to consider is that skimmed milk tastes as if it has been watered down, so to improve the flavour many low-fat milks have additives like non-fat milk powder. Some low-fat milk products may have as few as 30 kJ less than full-fat milk.

Some citations:

Full cream milk (per 100mL):
  • Protein: 3.2g
  • Fat: 3.4g (was 3.8g-4.0g 20 years ago)
  • Carbohydrates: 4.9g
  • Kilojoules: 263

Smarter milk (per 100mL):
  • Protein: 4.0g
  • Fat: 2.0g
  • Carbohydrates: 5.7g
  • Kilojoules: 238

Difference: 25 kJ.

#6 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:03 PM

View PostBam, on 28 July 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

Do you have more details? This might be worth a look.

Just had a look at the programme and I think that it was "River Cottage: Spring" at 1800hrs on ABC 1 last Thursday. I didn't catch the whole programme as I was just inside for a cuppa.
It went into more detail than just the excess of fat; there were also deficiencies mentioned at some length.
Perhaps it's on their website.

#7 User is offline   icey 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 28 July 2012 - 04:15 PM

View PostBam, on 28 July 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

When you've got sweets that are 80% sugar pretending to be healthy by claiming to be "99% fat free", we've got real problems".

I think you are again up for exaggeration Bam, but I have noticed relevant examples of what's more or less a bait & switch. Every time I see low fat or low sugar, I look for the percentage of the opposite unmentioned number. Just occasionally, I'm pleasntly surprised.

Roderick said:

Just had a look at the programme and I think that it was "River Cottage: Spring" at 1800hrs on ABC 1 last Thursday.

Posted Image

The River Cottage: Spring referred to is probably Series 11, Episode 4 which if suitably equipped, you might be able to get with help from from here. Or for the time being, on the ABC's iview here.

#8 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2012 - 05:01 PM

That's it, that's the man. :emot-waycool:

#9 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

It's low fat milk....not no-fat milk

#10 User is offline   Bam 

• Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

View Posticey, on 28 July 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

I think you are again up for exaggeration Bam, but I have noticed relevant examples of what's more or less a bait & switch. Every time I see low fat or low sugar, I look for the percentage of the opposite unmentioned number. Just occasionally, I'm pleasntly surprised.

I'll see if I can find those sweets; most likely the number I cited is too high.

As for claims, any food that makes these claims is best avoided because it is in all likelihood a manufactured food product that is likely to be bad for you in some way. The best low-fat, low-sugar and low-salt foods to consume are those that are that way naturally.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply