• 2 Pages +

Moral Dictatorship

#21 User is offline   NotFrogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

View PostRoderick, on 16 November 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

Wrong again, no Christian religion claims infallibility for what they say.

View PostRoderick, on 16 November 2012 - 09:13 AM, said:

Only one Christian religion claims any infallibility and then only in special circumstances.

Normally I would be pointing out the inherent inconsistencies of these two statements, but I feel it's completely fucking pointless to try and get godbotherers to admit to any cognitive dissonance.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#22 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationNew England, NSW, Australia

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

View PostNotFrogman, on 16 November 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

Normally I would be pointing out the inherent inconsistencies of these two statements, but I feel it's completely fucking pointless to try and get godbotherers to admit to any cognitive dissonance.

Feel free to go ahead, but I see no inconsistency, so enlighten us.
I must admit that you are shewing improvement in your English, 'cognitive dissonance' is a vast improvement.

Self-defence is not only a Right, it is an Obligation.

#23 User is offline   NotFrogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

What does shewing mean? I missed that class.

#24 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

View PostNotFrogman, on 16 November 2012 - 09:44 AM, said:

What does shewing mean? I missed that class.

Pity, still now's your chance to learn.

Verb
shew (third-person singular simple present shews, present participle shewing, simple past shewed, past participle shewed or shewn)
(archaic) To show.
(archaic) To tell.
To prove.

This shews the way

#25 User is offline   NotFrogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Ahhh archaic. That makes more sense.

#26 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostNotFrogman, on 16 November 2012 - 10:54 AM, said:

Ahhh archaic. That makes more sense.

Not entirely archaic.
The NSW Mapping Authority uses/used it on maps that are still current and there is still 'to prove'.

#27 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 16 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

C'mon fellas we all know that the non-Catholics strictly follow the Bible's rules and the Catholics (I was brought up a Catholic I even went to a Catholic school) follow the Ten Commandments. But there is only one problem...that of interpretation. If Moses said...."Which is better having one wife instead of many"? Yes that may be so! That is interpreted by religious leaders as having more than one wife is immoral or having a mistress is immoral

#28 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 16 November 2012 - 06:42 PM, said:

C'mon fellas we all know that the non-Catholics strictly follow the Bible's rules and the Catholics (I was brought up a Catholic I even went to a Catholic school) follow the Ten Commandments. But there is only one problem...that of interpretation. If Moses said...."Which is better having one wife instead of many"? Yes that may be so! That is interpreted by religious leaders as having more than one wife is immoral or having a mistress is immoral

That is generally true or perhaps a better phrasing would be that Catholicism is not as Old Testament oriented as other Christian religions.
However Catholicism does place reliance on some Old Testament teachings.

The Sin of Onan is a good example, especially as an entirely wrong interpretation is placed upon it.

#29 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:13 PM

I have not studied religions like you Roderick but as I was brought up a Catholic even in my schooling I can never remember at school in religious instruction being taught any segments from the Holy Bible. In fact it was never mentioned......only in passing here and there over the years. What was hammered into us was the Ten Commandments and their implications on our lives

#30 User is offline   Mrs Bradley 

• PipPip

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostRoderick, on 12 November 2012 - 10:04 AM, said:

I once worked for a large international company and the final hurdle in the employment process for production staff was the Employees' Committee.
This consisted of 5 elected members of the 'rank and file' who would review managment's decision, if it was a favourable one.
They would ask the rest of the workers their opinions on the person and also inquire around the pubs and clubs that he/she may have frequented; if the committee's report was adverse then the job went to someone else.
Simple as that and I'm told the same practice is still in place and is used by other companies as well.

Out in the real world, moral behaviour is important.

I have never heard of this before. Anywhere. It's clear that I am big on the rank and file thing; workers not bosses are the backbone of any company. However......if this was done to me-I would not get the job. Because I would challenge this, and would certainly take action on it after being questioned in this way.

#31 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostMrs Bradley, on 24 November 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

I have never heard of this before. Anywhere. It's clear that I am big on the rank and file thing; workers not bosses are the backbone of any company. However......if this was done to me-I would not get the job. Because I would challenge this, and would certainly take action on it after being questioned in this way.

You wouldn't be questioned by the committee, they only enquired never confronted; so you'd never hear about it.

#32 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

This company is not Maltese is it? This sounds like a type of a 'kangaroo court' to me. You are judged secretly and dealt with....secretly.This is the Maltese style....they love discussing other people in committees...secretly.
Some years ago a Maltese acquaintance of mine "let the cat out of the bag" that I was, unbeknown to me, being discussed in a Maltese committee here in Sydney at the time he was telling me. When I honed in to the Secretary of that particular Committee he admitted that this is true. I was never told prior or during this discussion. When I requested a copy of the "minutes" of that discussion as I believed that I was entitled to them to see what was discussed about me and perhaps annotate them should I believe that I was "misjudged" in some way in the discussion I was bluntly told quote" These discussions are confidential so consequently you are not entitled to the "minutes" " end quote.To this date (some 25 years) I still don't know what was discussed about me So as you see I did not submit the blog titled "Kangaroo Court" on these forums due to some whim of mine

#33 User is offline   Mrs Bradley 

• PipPip

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostRoderick, on 24 November 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

You wouldn't be questioned by the committee, they only enquired never confronted; so you'd never hear about it.

Then how did you hear about it?

#34 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

No, the company is an international one, privately owned by an American family and the plant that I mentioned is one of four in Australia. They are also in the UK, Europe, Asia and various States in the USA, as well as South America.
It is company policy to hire very competent and basically moral people.
There were three interviews to get on the short list and a psychological test as well as the medical, then an interview with the persons in charge of the shifts (I guess the nearest is 'foremen' but these people needed University Degrees) then the final hurdle of the 'Workers' Committee'.

#35 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

View PostMrs Bradley, on 25 November 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

Then how did you hear about it?

Read the above posts. I worked for one company that practiced it and was on the committee, at one time, as the rep. for the senior engineer and his side of things.

#36 User is offline   Mrs Bradley 

• PipPip

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

View PostRoderick, on 25 November 2012 - 12:34 PM, said:

Read the above posts. I worked for one company that practiced it and was on the committee, at one time, as the rep. for the senior engineer and his side of things.

Yup. I can read. I can read them. In fact to get the drift of the board there is rather a lot to read. So I asked you directly given that I could see you were online.

Anyway, got it now. You worked for one company that did it. Right.

#37 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

These committees are a law unto themselves. This Maltese committee (which I would presume would be similar to the one you are mentioning) is in Sydney. It's made up of ordinary mediocre people who self proclaim themselves as being competent...but are not. They are not members of the legal/medical fraternity so they are not bound by national confidentiality laws. If you use your imagination....you can say that when an individual's name comes before it....opinions are given and judgements made by each member of the committee and then votes taken on the person. Remember this is all done in secrecy with the person concerned not being aware of what is occurring.Further all this are in what are called "minutes"....a documented secret record of what is said which can be accessed by anyone except the person concerned. The person can be accused of anything.....from being a rapist to a murderer...his/her marital status judged etc.Now there is another aspect to this.Individual members of this Maltese committee are not bound by national confidentiality laws. Consequently should they be in a social function or in any other place (and this can easily occur) and they get tipsy or even if not, they can divulge to others what occurred in that meeting over that particular person.
I mean this is really serious especially when it is happening in Australia. However when you consider where Malta is geographically situated.....several kilometers from Sicily.....and I give you a hint who is in Sicily (anyone see the film Godfather)) you will immediately realize that this is what is called Southern Mediterranean mantality

#38 User is offline   Mrs Bradley 

• PipPip

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

View Postdumbcluck, on 26 November 2012 - 07:36 AM, said:

These committees are a law unto themselves. This Maltese committee (which I would presume would be similar to the one you are mentioning) is in Sydney. It's made up of ordinary mediocre people who self proclaim themselves as being competent...but are not. They are not members of the legal/medical fraternity so they are not bound by national confidentiality laws. If you use your imagination....you can say that when an individual's name comes before it....opinions are given and judgements made by each member of the committee and then votes taken on the person. Remember this is all done in secrecy with the person concerned not being aware of what is occurring.Further all this are in what are called "minutes"....a documented secret record of what is said which can be accessed by anyone except the person concerned. The person can be accused of anything.....from being a rapist to a murderer...his/her marital status judged etc.Now there is another aspect to this.Individual members of this Maltese committee are not bound by national confidentiality laws. Consequently should they be in a social function or in any other place (and this can easily occur) and they get tipsy or even if not, they can divulge to others what occurred in that meeting over that particular person.
I mean this is really serious especially when it is happening in Australia. However when you consider where Malta is geographically situated.....several kilometers from Sicily.....and I give you a hint who is in Sicily (anyone see the film Godfather)) you will immediately realize that this is what is called Southern Mediterranean mantality

Yes I can see this in organisations and clubs (I experienced something not dissimilar with a prominent national woman's organisation). I have never heard of a group of workers passing a collective opinion of a prospective employee though, unless it was a 'worker's collective' setup.

#39 User is offline   Roderick 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostMrs Bradley, on 26 November 2012 - 06:38 PM, said:

Yes I can see this in organisations and clubs (I experienced something not dissimilar with a prominent national woman's organisation). I have never heard of a group of workers passing a collective opinion of a prospective employee though, unless it was a 'worker's collective' setup.

To put it simply, the management, having selected a person for employment, asked the workers if they had any objection to that person being employed and working with them.
Any workers that did would tell the committee and the committee would look into it.
If, in the opinion of the committee the person would not fit into the team then they didn't get the job.
Most objections were on moral grounds.

#40 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

Yes when unprofessionals are involved it does make it a bit dicey. Union members....Maltese members of committees....or any other are not professionals like the medical/legal professions who are not only subject to confidentiality laws but have them imposed ethically on their professions. You have these members (esp the maltese) who may be part time aged pensioners,plumbers,self proclaimed journalists, who would not only be aware of what the word "ethics" mean....but cannot even spell it.....who through high connections not talent, sit on these committees judging other people.This is a ridiculous state of affairs

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply