Page 1 of 1

I peered....

#1 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:35 AM

... the other day whilst my wife was watching afternoon TV here in Sydney....a show called Dr Oz.I do not like these medical shows but I stopped on this occasion because of what occurred.....in coincidence with what is being written on these forums.
It seems that a diet was being discussed....a Dukain Diet....or Dukane Diet (whatever)....this name referred to a French doctor who had written this book. And lo and behold Dr. Oz had a panel on his show....consisting of 3 people .....2 were medical doctors (experts on dieting) and one was a nutritionist. And they were told to comment (and judge) this diet from 1 to 10. This looked suspiciously like a "peer review" of which you commented on these forums. And you stated that a "peer review" is the only way to the truth. But guess what? To make a long story short....at the end this exercise proved me right.One doctor gave it 8.....the other gave it 1....and he even commented that it is dangerous and the nutritionist commented in favor. Dr. Oz was in favor.
Remember my comment when I said that if you ask 10 astronomers to give a report on the solar system....you will get 10 different reports/opinions

So much for your "peer reviews"!
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.

#2 User is offline   Frogman 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • LocationPerth

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

who ...edited ... talk show panel with some talking heads on it and proclaims it a peer review?

who ... edited...uses one instance of something completely unrelated and uses that as reasoning to write off the best method we have of checking and separating truth from fiction?

What you saw was not a peer review. What you saw was not justification for the denigration of the process of peer review. ...edited

Edited by moderator lenxyz to remove unnecessary provocative language

#3 User is offline   dumbcluck 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

I did not say that it was a "peer review"....I said that it looked suspiciously like a "peer review". What it proves however is that so-called "experts" in the same field can be contradictory in their opinion on that field.
It is an impossibility to separate truth from fiction to perfection on planet Earth. If it cannot be done to perfection.....that is a 100% guarantee then....it cannot be done.No one on planet Earth is that good.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply