The Daily Wire: Automatic enrolment - The Daily Wire

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1

Automatic enrolment

#1 User is offline   HDMC 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1616
  • Joined: 14-January 11
  • LocationNQ

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

Quote

NEW electoral laws to automatically enrol up to 1.5 million voters could see the Coalition lose a swag of marginal seats at next year's election. According to several exclusive Newspoll surveys, the Coalition's primary vote would slip by 1.5 percentage points if those currently eligible to vote but not enrolled - mainly young people - were enrolled.


http://www.theaustra...x-1226533260326

Bring it on.

Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#2 User is offline   GeorgeParsons 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 452
  • Joined: 02-May 11

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

View PostHDMC, on 10 December 2012 - 02:12 PM, said:

Agreed. It's Time!
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#3 User is offline   Neil 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 83
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationQld

Posted 11 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

Letting young people vote is a rort according to the opposition
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#4 User is offline   HDMC 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1616
  • Joined: 14-January 11
  • LocationNQ

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostNeil, on 11 December 2012 - 06:41 AM, said:

Letting young people vote is a rort according to the opposition




Yeah, that was Pyne again.



No mention that their own "electoral reform" legislation was such a rort it was struck out by the High Court, of course.



Quote

The High Court has ruled that Howard-era laws that close the electoral rolls on the day that writs for an election are issued are invalid.

The Australian Electoral Commission will now scramble to contact an estimated 100,000 Australians to inform them they are entitled to vote at the election on August 21.


Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#5 User is offline   southern man 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 174
  • Joined: 25-March 12

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

So instead of a Landslide it will be just a Convincing Win to the Coalition...

What could be wrong with that?

So the ALP is hanging on the Uni Student/Idealistic/Left Wing voter syndrome ie the people who vote Left wing before they have gained enough wisdom and intelligence to realise they stuffed up and are worried how they are going to pay their Mortgage and the newly Massive Power Bills as we single-handedly try to save the World from Climate Change.

As Gareth Evans once famously said "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"!!
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#6 User is offline   Bam 

  • Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 3205
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

View Postsouthern man, on 11 December 2012 - 10:50 AM, said:

So instead of a Landslide it will be just a Convincing Win to the Coalition...

What could be wrong with that?

Everything. Where do we start? Abbott is unstable, Pyne runs the conspiracies, and the whole party has policies that are so unpopular that they won't tell us, preferring instead to throw mud and indulge in ad hominem politics.

Quote

So the ALP is hanging on the Uni Student/Idealistic/Left Wing voter syndrome ie the people who vote Left wing before they have gained enough wisdom and intelligence to realise they stuffed up and are worried how they are going to pay their Mortgage and the newly Massive Power Bills as we single-handedly try to save the World from Climate Change.

As Gareth Evans once famously said "Seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"!!

Yeah, whatever.

Considering that today's uni students are tomorrow's future leaders of society - including tomorrow's politicians from all parties - you are rather disingenuous to dismiss them. Do not underestimate the ability of uni students to unite in anger if they are mistreated.

If the Coalition had their way they would impose property qualifications on voting, raise the voting age back to 21 and do anything they can to disenfranchise the youth, the poor and the disadvantaged. Right-wing politicians always manipulate the electoral system for their own personal gain. Bjelkemander, Playmander, Florida 2000, deliberate under-resourcing of polling places in poorer areas, the list goes on and on.

Erosion of the franchise must be resisted at all costs. Voting is a right, not a privilege.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#7 User is offline   southern man 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 174
  • Joined: 25-March 12

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

In support of Uni Students voting left wing and "wanting to make a difference" - this old maxim....

"If you're not a socialist at the age of 20 you have no heart. If you're not a conservative at the age of 40, you have no brain."
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#8 User is offline   Bam 

  • Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 3205
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

View Postsouthern man, on 11 December 2012 - 12:21 PM, said:

In support of Uni Students voting left wing and "wanting to make a difference" - this old maxim....

"If you're not a socialist at the age of 20 you have no heart. If you're not a conservative at the age of 40, you have no brain."

Reposting someone else's opinion does not make it a fact.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#9 User is offline   southern man 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 174
  • Joined: 25-March 12

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

It certainly makes sense to me.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#10 User is offline   Neil 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 83
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationQld

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

View Postsouthern man, on 12 December 2012 - 10:53 AM, said:

It certainly makes sense to me.

Just because it makes sense to you does not mean it is true.
Many people thought it made sense that the world was flat, that slavery is a good idea, that the Jews are conspiring with Marxist to destroy Western civilization, intelligent design and that Tony Abbott is not a racist religious fanatic who lies constantly.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#11 User is offline   southern man 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 174
  • Joined: 25-March 12

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

The bit about Tony Abbott doesn't make sense, Neil. I take it you believe Abbott is a racist religious fanatic who lies constantly? Citation needed.

All your other statements appear to hold water.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#12 User is offline   Bam 

  • Advanced Member
  • View blog
  • Group: Moderators
  • Posts: 3205
  • Joined: 13-January 11
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

View Postsouthern man, on 12 December 2012 - 04:19 PM, said:

I take it you believe Abbott is a racist religious fanatic who lies constantly? Citation needed.

Methinks Neil was exaggerating.

Perhaps we should get back to the topic.

I'll not be partisan here. I don't think that automatic enrolment is a good idea. It may be open to exploitation. I am more comfortable with an electoral system where everyone on the rolls has completed the appropriate paperwork to prove that they are a real person.

If automatic enrolment is implemented, we would also need to have automatic enrolment for someone who has just moved house, another common situation that can bump someone off the electoral roll.

What may work better would be automatic provisional enrolment. It would work as follows:
  • Whenever someone who is eligible to enrol turns 18, moves house or registers as homeless, and they have not already enrolled on the full electoral roll with the correct address details, they are automatically removed from the full roll if they were enrolled and placed on a provisional electoral roll. Anyone on this provisional roll is not allowed to vote (except as discussed below) but is eligible for jury duty.
  • Anyone not on the electoral roll who files a tax return is also enrolled on the provisional electoral roll.
  • Upon being placed on the provisional roll, the person receives the enrolment paperwork at the registered postal address for that person.
  • When on the provisional roll, one needs only to confirm the enrolment using the right paperwork to be placed on the full roll. The only difference is that the enrolment form would be pre-printed with the person's details.
  • If a State or Federal election is called, all people on the provisional roll would receive reminders to enrol and would have 14 days from the issuing of the writs to do so.
  • Anyone removed from the electoral roll can still cast a provisional vote in case they were removed from the electoral roll in error. If the error is proven, the vote is accepted by the returning officer as a valid vote.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

#13 User is offline   HDMC 

  • Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1616
  • Joined: 14-January 11
  • LocationNQ

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:34 AM

View PostBam, on 12 December 2012 - 07:14 PM, said:

Methinks Neil was exaggerating.

Perhaps we should get back to the topic.

I'll not be partisan here. I don't think that automatic enrolment is a good idea. It may be open to exploitation. I am more comfortable with an electoral system where everyone on the rolls has completed the appropriate paperwork to prove that they are a real person.

If automatic enrolment is implemented, we would also need to have automatic enrolment for someone who has just moved house, another common situation that can bump someone off the electoral roll.

What may work better would be automatic provisional enrolment. It would work as follows:
  • Whenever someone who is eligible to enrol turns 18, moves house or registers as homeless, and they have not already enrolled on the full electoral roll with the correct address details, they are automatically removed from the full roll if they were enrolled and placed on a provisional electoral roll. Anyone on this provisional roll is not allowed to vote (except as discussed below) but is eligible for jury duty.
  • Anyone not on the electoral roll who files a tax return is also enrolled on the provisional electoral roll.
  • Upon being placed on the provisional roll, the person receives the enrolment paperwork at the registered postal address for that person.
  • When on the provisional roll, one needs only to confirm the enrolment using the right paperwork to be placed on the full roll. The only difference is that the enrolment form would be pre-printed with the person's details.
  • If a State or Federal election is called, all people on the provisional roll would receive reminders to enrol and would have 14 days from the issuing of the writs to do so.
  • Anyone removed from the electoral roll can still cast a provisional vote in case they were removed from the electoral roll in error. If the error is proven, the vote is accepted by the returning officer as a valid vote.



As I understand it "automatic enrollment" is not actually what it's about. But it is the current catch-cry so I used it as a title.

It's about maintaining the rolls. You'd still need ID to enrol initially, but if you forgot to notify a change of address or suchlike, the AEC would use the info it currently gets from the likes of the ATO, Centrelink, drivers licences etc, but instead of sending a reminder they would automatically maintain your enrollment.
Register so you can post replies with ease and remove this message.
Already registered? Please login now to make this message go away.
Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter

0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1


Fast Reply